Chick with cross beak

countrygirl911

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
well today my little silkie is 8 to 9 weeks old she came out of the assorted bantams ben at the TSC and i just noticed that her beak is crossed a little it was not like that when i bought her is there anything i can do will she grow up to a healthy hen

60848_dsc00159.jpg

any advice on how to care for her and also a good name for her

I've never had one, but I do know that using a deep feeding trough or cup is essential to make sure she can get some food in her. Same with a waterer if she's having trouble. If you're worried about her not getting the nutrients she needs, you can try giving her a bit of Poly Vi Sol (without iron).

Hopefully someone who knows more will be along soon. Best of luck with her!
big_smile.png

she seems to be eating and drinking but not sure if she is getting enough if she is going to have problems in life and is going to suffer do i need to cull her or give her a chance

sorry to bump my own thread but i really need info how to care for this chick or do i need to cull her so she does not suffer she is small but she seems to be eating and drinking but not sure how much she is getting in her

I have a chicken with a scissor beak. She is happy and in fact, is the dominant of my two birds. I know some cases are proabably worse than mine, but I do not think it will be necessary to cull her. If she is able to eat and drink, she'll be happy.

As to why?I have no idea. It is fairly common from what I understand.

thank you most of the day she hides from my other chickens i have only 4 bantams in the pen the rest is LF but my DH watches them when the older and bigger chicks are out free ranging and so do i and she eats and drinks just 2 weeks ago it was not like that now all of a sudden it has formed we are in the process of building a new coop hope for it to be done this weekend and she will be moved to it i will watch her closer tomorrow up close to see if she is actually having trouble with keeping the food in her beak and eating it we try to stay or distance so they are not spooked or scared especially when they are eating. from about 10 feet away we watch and she goes to the feeder and the waterier and stays there for a while she is a little bigger from when we first put them out there but she is still very small

I have a pullet that is about 4 1/2 months old with a worse crooked beak than that and she is just fine, she is not as big as her "brothers and sisters" hatched at the same time but she is ok.

You do need to make sure that the feeder she eats out of has deep enough food that she can stab her ol crooked beak in and remember they need more water because mine uses the water bowl to wash out whatever gets stuck in hers.

I would not cull mine, in fact since she got extra attention she has the best personality and is one of the funniest birds to watch that I own.

She's cute, keep her unless you start having major malnutrition issues.

Peepers is bad enough that his tounge sticks out.
tongue.png
But he is a yr old now and just as full of life as ever. Not the size he should be but he's happy. Deep food and water like the others said and you will prob have to trim the beak every so often so she can eat. good luck.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom