Chick With Curled Toes

how long do I need to leave the little shoes on the babies? I had 4 hatch out in my incubator and I need to put the shoes on them.

I hadn't thought of including info on that on Podiatry page. Sometimes you forget the obvious!

I just made a few revisions:

• If treating young chick: Important to put on new shoe at least every 1-3 days while feet growing fast.The chick will likely need to wear the shoes a total of 4 days to 2 weeks, depending on the severity of the problem
    • Make sure shoe size increased regularly so foot doesn't outgrow shoe. Toe Taping (See below) may be better for treating some problems.
If treating older bird:
  • Aim for gradual reshaping.
  • Change the shoe at least every 4-7 days.The bird may need to wear the shoes and/or have its toes taped (See below) for 2-5 weeks.

The above are my best estimates based on my experiences.

very good thread, thanks to everyone for contributing - now I think I can help my 2 chicks
smile.png

How long do you need to leave the boot on? They are only one day old so I want to wait a day or two to make sure they are ok and then I will try the boot.

I have read as little as 1 drop, or 2-3 drops for an older chick. Chick vitamins that are added to the water are always the safest bet. With curled toes a multi-B complex tablet dissolved in water and added to a quart waterer would be safe since B vitamins are water soluble, and any excess amount will be excreted in the urine.

Back
Top Bottom