Chick with fleas and bad leg. Need advice on what to do next.

_-Captain BRM-_

Post Tenebras Lux
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2021
This little bugger hatched 3 days ago with a bent in leg. I didn't cull, because we don't breed out of our flock. I didn't have much hope that it would survive, but it HAS found a way to walk, albeit it slowly. It cannot keep up with Mama and her healthy little brood, but I believe her leg may still yet be fixed, and that she will adapt to her situation. She fights for life, and is fighting to thrive.
I came home and found her cold and dying. I put her in my shirt to warm her up- she is covered in fleas. Absolutely covered.
Deep cleaning the coop is now on the agenda.
So, in a wild scramble, I brought the baby inside, grabbed my dog flea and tick shampoo, and I cleaned her. For, like, 10 minutes, bro. She's fighting so hard. The shampoo killed the fleas, and I repeated the entire process four times. FOUR TIMES BRUH. They would crawl to her beak, so I'd have to submerge her very quickly.
She is fighting so hard. At the moment, she's beneath a heat lamp. She's moving- not death throwes. She's peeping, not always distressed. She's cuddled into her towel and fighting for life. I don't think I'll cull till she gives up.

What the heck do I do now. ☠️
She really is alive, and I'm betting she'll make it. But are the fleas really gone? Multiple times I thought she was totally going to die, and there was nothing I could do but keep washing.
I'm off to take a shower now, to rid myself of a fricken flea infestation, but I would really, really appreciate advice. Especially with fixing her leg.
I'm fine buying her some chicks to live with.

Honestly, I cannot believe she survived all that. She is by no means weak.
PXL_20230818_223232568.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230818_223238546.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230818_224618673.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
PXL_20230818_224611628.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
PXL_20230818_224623788.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
PXL_20230818_224628728.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Awe poor thing, we had a flea infestation a few months ago when an opossum died under our tub where the motor is. It took 2 months to get rid of them. We tried everything. Eventually spraying ourselves using the professional stuff finally worked. We did that once after having it strayed twice 21 days apart. Luckily we didn't have chicks at the time but our poor hairless cats were getting a few at a time. Good luck with this one and let us know how it goes!

That's awesome!!

Do be extremely careful since she is mobility challenged and cannot get away from the heat even if she could move well.
Yes! The photo gives off the illusion that the heat lamp is directly above, due to the position I took the photo in. This is not accurate, and she is at a perfect temp.

It certainly had me worried for her. :th

Have you been able to check the others for fleas?
I haven't. I am in a rather chaotic situation at the moment, and have obligations this weekend. The other chicks are doing well with their Mama, though, and have had no health complications. I plan to check up on them tomorrow night when I'm back home ;) thanks for the help!

Are you sure they were fleas? Chickens can have bird specific blood-sucking mites and feather eating lice. Next time you bathe a chicken, please don’t submerge them over their head, as they can easily asphyxiate. Instead, if they have something on their face, wet a clothe or paper towel to wipe it off.

Are you sure they were fleas? Chickens can have bird specific blood-sucking mites and feather eating lice. Next time you bathe a chicken, please don’t submerge them over their head, as they can easily asphyxiate. Instead, if they have something on their face, wet a clothe or paper towel to wipe it off.
They easily could have been mites, though... They were white. Yellow. Made me think of fleas due to past experiences, and I didn't do nearly enough research before posting this. I was just grateful to be rid of them, and maybe, admittedly, desperate.

They easily could have been mites, though... They were white. Yellow. Made me think of fleas due to past experiences, and I didn't do nearly enough research before posting this. I was just grateful to be rid of them, and maybe, admittedly, desperate.
If they are mites, the rest of the flock can easily be treated with an anti-parasite such as ivermectin. If they’re lice (which are less dangerous but harder to get rid of), you’ll have to dust or spray them with something like permethrin.

Back
Top Bottom