Chick with head sore

Ugh that was my thought when I saw that wound. I sort of got a flashback and it scares me because I had two worms in my head last year and that wound looked like that, the way it is swollen and the pinsize hole. I also don't know of small chicks to have such a pecking force to cause bleeding, but that depends on the breeds I guess. Flybot is common around lifestock and cattle. The fly lays it's eggs on the mosquito legs, which get transmited to a host when a mosquito lands and bites.

So the larvae can be fatal even to humans, the egg hatches and the worm eats away at the inside. The one in my neck and head started as a mosquito bite, but as the weeks went on it was a dull aching pain. The pain then turned sharp and unbearable. Doctors couldn't even help me because they didn't diagnose it properly.

Enough stories. I would treat immediately just in case. The chick will succomb faster than a human.

Treatment is to put a dab of vaseline over the wound which suffocates them. The worm should then poke their head out and you can pull it with tweazers. It really sounds like such an easy treatment for such a horrible disease. My neighbors father died of flybot larvae after a year. But he raised cattle. The pain went away at first, then he died suddenly after one year of no symptoms. You have to wonder if somehow an insect managed to get to your baby indoors.

There is a chance it is a larvae that hatched and is now a worm based on it looking like this after a week. Read online about treatment, but the vaseline and tweezers is most reliable at least for humans. The pain is unbearable when the worm is full grown your chick will suffer if it is flybot and you don't act.
I don’t think we have them here. 🤞🏻Everywhere I look says Southern USA- and warm and humid places. We are in a dry climate- in Utah.

I don’t think we have them here. 🤞🏻Everywhere I look says Southern USA- and warm and humid places. We are in a dry climate- in Utah.
Look up "myiasis" on wikipedia, even a normal housefly can lay eggs on an open wound. A topical ivermectin would kill it. I guess you know if there was a chance he was around insect or not. Thank goodness there is almost no chance it is a larvae.

These flybots sound scary
It's horrifying

Back
Top Bottom