Chick with head tucked into chest

valerie

Chirping
14 Years
Dec 9, 2007
Yukon, Oklahoma
I have a 6 week old BR chick that can not lift her head. She was fine yesterday. Other seems to be doing well today. She sometimes tucks it soo far down on her chest that she does a 'roll'. She's walking around ok. I did get her to drink some water anda little feed soaked in water thru an eye dropper. What else can I do for her?
Thanks
Valerie

That just happened to me with 2 day old chick! I added vit/elec to water for 2 days. Then she was fine. I don't know if it was the vitamins or time--maybe she was cramped in the shipping box, but I am thankful that she's ok now.

Is she drinking water?

From what I've read, if she's drinking water, then maybe just add Avia Charge 2000 to the water, but not electrolytes.

Maybe someone else can help more.

Good luck!

Lisa

one of mine did that last week he had something stuck in his crop and was trying to work it through, i gave him some grit and rubbed it alittle. he's all better

OK I ordered Avia Charge 2000 == probably won't be here until Tues at the earliest
sad.png
Any ideas until then? She's drinking (out of an eye dropper or cup)..but what about her eating? How can these two legged, feathered, critters steal our heart sooo fast!
Valerie

big_smile.png
i am really trying to find out some info on here about spraddle leg or whatever my rooster has he is 6 weeks old cornish stopped walking this morning and eats but cant stand up straight at all does anybody know what it could be he cant balance without his wing and i think he needs to be dispatched and eaten? anyone

Quote:
Silkie Chicken answered your post...the problem with your cornish is not spraddle leg.
@Valerie... look on your birds head for evidence of a peck or such... you cna give your bird three drops of POLYVISOL Enfamil formulation 9this is a childrens A-B-D liquid vitamin) once a day in beak until the Avia Charge comes...

Thank you dlhunicorn. I will get that this morning. She's drinking OK...but not eating. I've soaked feed in water and she's drinking that water. I'm afraid she won't get enough nutrients to keep her goin. I don't see any signs of pecking, etc on her head. She is standing, grooming herself, and 'talking'.
smile.png
I just don't want her to get too weak.
Thanks for you're help
Valerie

You can also scramble an egg and mix that thru feed and offer live culture yogurt ...some like cooked oatmeal (cooked in water not milk) thru their feed
It might be a toxin or such... you could try a molasses flush and see if that helps:
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/extsoln.htm
(reduce accordingly as this is only for one bird)
".....LAXATIVE SOLUTIONS
The following solutions or mixtures are recommended to flush the digestive system of toxic substances, most notably for treating birds exposed to botulism toxins.

Molasses Solution:
Add one pint of molasses to 5 gallons of water
Offer the drinking solution free-choice to the affected birds for about four hours. Treat severely affected birds individually if they cannot drink. Return the birds to regular water after the treatment period...."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom