Chick with ipacted crop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sepaditty1, Mar 31, 2015.

1. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    My 5 week old chick has an impacted crop. I've never dealth with one before, but after reading a few great articles here I am sure that's what it is.

I see that the recommended treatment includes dulcolax. What amount would I use for a tiny little fluff ball? What kind do I buy? I do have epsom salt if that could be enough of a laxative. Anyone know dosage.

Last night was the 1st I noticed this but I didn't panic too uch since it was evening. Just massaged it a bit. This morning it was still hard & full but not quite as bad. Massaged it a bit more & had to go to work.

How long before I have to give medicine?

2. kurui

kurui Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your chick, this happened recently to me with one of my older girls (about 8 months old). I'd never dealt with it before either, and it was a pretty scary experience. However, having gone through a rough patch, my girl is looking/acting a lot more like herself, and this morning her crop was almost entirely empty. Great progress!

I didn't have dulcolax on hand the first day, so I used olive oil on top of plain yoghurt instead, but today I went to the vet to ask his advice and he told me to get some dulcolax from the pharmacy and administer 1.5mg every 12hrs. I think you might want to scale down a bit for a 5wk old, but maybe that gives you a rough idea?

Best of luck!

3. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thank you! This evening it was quite a bit smaller and squishier. Still full, but it was evening, so it would be.

I'll check it in the morning. Maybe it worked itself out. If not, I will buy the dulcolax.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Are you removing all feed from the chick? Until the crop is empty, the chick should not be allowed to eat. Once the crop is empty try feeding the chick a wet mash made from chick starter and buttermilk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by