chick with large squishy, watery crop

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
i made a post about her last night but no one responded. i hope it’s not against the rules to post twice.

she’s a 6 day old dominique. her crop is full and squishy and feels like it’s full of liquid, like an underfilled water balloon. she’s had it since late last night, though it’s possible it started yesterday afternoon and i didn’t notice. i tried massaging it a couple times but it’s still there. after i massaged it she did that neck wiggling thing they do when they eat too fast, but only for a minute. i held her for an hour and i heard one little gurgle from her crop but no more. i don’t think she’s pooped. she’s acting otherwise normal, no smell from her mouth or other discernible symptoms. i can’t get electrolytes but i have pedialyte, apple cider vinegar, and sugar.

i got worried it might be a wood chip blockage because i see the chicks occasionally scratching and pecking at the ground but she’s the only one with a crop like this. does anyone know what may be happening and what i can do to help her? thanks

Is she acting normally and alert besides the puffy crop? Is she eating and drinking? I would not massage her crop, since that can cause her to vomit crop contents into her airway and choke to death. Has she had any pasty butt?

Is she acting normally and alert besides the puffy crop? Is she eating and drinking? I would not massage her crop, since that can cause her to vomit crop contents into her airway and choke to death. Has she had any pasty butt?
yeah, no lethargy or shaking. i’ve seen her drink, i haven’t seen her eat but i only recently woke up (i noticed the problem when i woke up very late at night, and i fell back asleep) so i could’ve just missed it. thank you for telling me that, i was concerned about it but i only could find info on sour crop and all the articles recommended that. she’s never had pasty.

Last edited:
she still has the problem. it looks a little bigger but has the same consistency. it’s sitting to the right now and she’s started jerking her head occasionally. she’s still active and mostly normal but it definitely seems like the discomfort is getting to her. does anyone have any suggestions? i don’t have any clue what to do about it and i’m concerned she’ll worsen soon.

Back
Top Bottom