Chick with left side crop - not currently seeing any issies

2ndTink

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Aug 23, 2020
I wasn't sure which area to post this in, if this is the wrong spot please let me know šŸ˜Š

I have a 4 1/2 wk old EE 95% sure it's a roo (I have a thread Fizzy the EE - roo?) and the crop is on the left side. When I first got it home it wasn't doing well, I got some fluids into it and within 10 or 12 hours it was eating and drinking well on its own and acting mostly normal. It was a little less energetic and would let its wings droop more at times, but when it would move around it looked just like the others. I noticed it back then that it had a little bulge on the left side and I couldn't feel the crop on the right. I keep thinking I've got to be wrong, but is it possible to end up with a left side crop?

I picked him up yesterday and noticed it again so I thought I'd ask. He went from a little sad looking the first two weeks to the biggest bodied bird in the brooder the last 2 weeks.

You can't see the crop in the photo, but I attached some anyway, he seems quite healthy, its just weird to pick him up and the squish is on the wrong side.

- is this possible?
- would it likely be genetic?
- is this likely to cause health issues throughout his life?

I was contemplating keeping a roo depending on their temperament and what he would do to the flock dynamics. But, if Fizzy isn't the right one, we have 3 other "pullets" that are in question.

Attachments

• 20210320_113739.jpg
    20210320_113739.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210320_113826.jpg
    20210320_113826.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210321_082236.jpg
    20210321_082236.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 12
He's (or she) a cute little guy. I'm no expert and have never seen a crop on the wrong side, but a lot of crazy anomolies can occur in humans (Stomachs on the wrong sides, extra ribs & vertebrae [I have both extra ribs and extra vertebrae myself]) so I believe anything is possible! Were you ever able to get a pic of him with a full crop?

I have a hen with a misplaced crop, too. The difference between a misplaced crop and a pendulous crop is that a) they're born with it wrong and b) it doesn't swing. Your roo is pretty young so I'd definitely go with the "born with it" section. My hen does fine with her crop, it's just extra bulgy. You have to make sure it empties every night though, because it will be much more prone to impacted or sour crop. Just be diligent and give him grit when he goes out. Another thing you might notice is that his development/growth will be slower than other chicks. It could be because it's harder for him to break down nutrients. Or maybe it's because it takes longer for him to digest (again, that's why you should make sure he doesn't get sour crop). But other than that, he should be perfectly capable of living a happy rooster life! I know my hen does (;

I haven't seen him with a big full crop, the others haven't been gorging themselves either, and I have 3 feeders set up and they are definitely going through the food!

This photo is from when Fizzy was itty bitty and didn't feel good. You can see the little left side bulge.

Attachments

• 20210220_104317.jpg
    20210220_104317.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 9
I wasn't sure which area to post this in, if this is the wrong spot please let me know šŸ˜Š

I have a 4 1/2 wk old EE 95% sure it's a roo (I have a thread Fizzy the EE - roo?) and the crop is on the left side. When I first got it home it wasn't doing well, I got some fluids into it and within 10 or 12 hours it was eating and drinking well on its own and acting mostly normal. It was a little less energetic and would let its wings droop more at times, but when it would move around it looked just like the others. I noticed it back then that it had a little bulge on the left side and I couldn't feel the crop on the right. I keep thinking I've got to be wrong, but is it possible to end up with a left side crop?

I picked him up yesterday and noticed it again so I thought I'd ask. He went from a little sad looking the first two weeks to the biggest bodied bird in the brooder the last 2 weeks.

You can't see the crop in the photo, but I attached some anyway, he seems quite healthy, its just weird to pick him up and the squish is on the wrong side.

- is this possible?
- would it likely be genetic?
- is this likely to cause health issues throughout his life?

I was contemplating keeping a roo depending on their temperament and what he would do to the flock dynamics. But, if Fizzy isn't the right one, we have 3 other "pullets" that are in question.
Im pretty sure its just how they were born, no worries it wont affect them in any way. Also, I think he is a rooster.

I have a hen with a misplaced crop, too. The difference between a misplaced crop and a pendulous crop is that a) they're born with it wrong and b) it doesn't swing. Your roo is pretty young so I'd definitely go with the "born with it" section. My hen does fine with her crop, it's just extra bulgy. You have to make sure it empties every night though, because it will be much more prone to impacted or sour crop. Just be diligent and give him grit when he goes out. Another thing you might notice is that his development/growth will be slower than other chicks. It could be because it's harder for him to break down nutrients. Or maybe it's because it takes longer for him to digest (again, that's why you should make sure he doesn't get sour crop). But other than that, he should be perfectly capable of living a happy rooster life! I know my hen does (;
Thanks for the info on your hen! Oddly he is the heaviest of the chicks, he's been growing like crazy the last 2 to 3 weeks, still has a lot of fluff compared to the others but sheesh he's like picking up a little brick. We haven't had them outside yet but I'll keep an eye on how his crop empties.

I'm tempted to hatch out some chicks to see if it's genetic, but I'm not sure how responsible that is šŸ˜’

Im pretty sure its just how they were born, no worries it wont affect them in any way. Also, I think he is a rooster.
Yeah, he definitely isn't a "slow developing" cockerel hiding out as a pullet šŸ™„ we bought 6 EE pullets down to 3 pullets a "possibly a pullet", a "probably a roo", and Fizz the for sure cockerel.

I caught him with a full crop today, he can't turn down chick starter mash. The picture makes it look bigger than it actually was, but this is the fullest I've seen his crop, it usually isn't this pronounced, the feathers poofed out over it too.

Attachments

• 20210402_075509.jpg
    20210402_075509.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom