Chick with leg injury

WeNeedDrPhil

Chirping
Aug 14, 2016
Hey everyone! I noticed that my chick seemed to be huddled in a corner and I saw that she was being pecked by other chickens. Her feathers looked fluffed up, as if she was trying to keep warm. I took her inside for a few hours to both feed and keep her warm.
Upon further inspection, I saw that the front of her knee had a bit of purple and she didn't want to put weight on it and sort of drags her toes when she tries to walk. She doesn't seem to show pain when the joint is touched or moved, but I can't be sure. Although the joint seems to move fine compared to her other leg. Could this be just a bruise? Should I be worried that it's broken?

Can you post a picture of the foot and leg, and how she stands? How old is she? Can you start some chick vitamins, or crush a 1/2 tablet of vitamin B complex into the food daily?
Unfortunately the closest pharmacy is closed on saturday and sunday, and the best thing I have are Supradyn multivitamins and it has Vitamin B 1,2,6,12 along with a C K D A E and a ton of minerals. I have no idea how much vitamins you can give to chickens. She's sleeping now.
20181104_160241.jpg
20181104_154941.jpg
20181104_154849.jpg

For just today, I would crush one of your tablets, and add it to a small amount of water for the chick to drink, and to mix into some food. Then tomorrow, try to get chick vitamins if they sell those, or vitamin B complex tablets. What country are you located in? We have friends all over who can advise on where to find medicines. Her leg may be bruised from an injury.

Is your chick having runny poops? Is she eating? She appears lethargic, so I would worry that she might have coccidiosis, an intestinal disease. But she may just be weak and in pain. If you suspect coccidiosis, I would get some amprollium or sulfa antibiotic to treat her water for several days. Symptoms of coccidiosis are sleepiness, hunched or puffed up appearance, not eating, and runny poops with mucus and sometimes a little blood. Let us know if you decide to treat for that.

Here is a good article to read about coccidiosis:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/coccidiosis/index.aspx

For just today, I would crush one of your tablets, and add it to a small amount of water for the chick to drink, and to mix into some food. Then tomorrow, try to get chick vitamins if they sell those, or vitamin B complex tablets. What country are you located in? We have friends all over who can advise on where to find medicines. Her leg may be bruised from an injury.

Is your chick having runny poops? Is she eating? She appears lethargic, so I would worry that she might have coccidiosis, an intestinal disease. But she may just be weak and in pain. If you suspect coccidiosis, I would get some amprollium or sulfa antibiotic to treat her water for several days. Symptoms of coccidiosis are sleepiness, hunched or puffed up appearance, not eating, and runny poops with mucus and sometimes a little blood. Let us know if you decide to treat for that.

Here is a good article to read about coccidiosis:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/coccidiosis/index.aspx
Wouldn't a regular pharmacy have just vitamin B medication? I think it would certainly be an injury, as we have ducks who may have gotten a little too excited, but I can't confirm. Other than wanting to sleep, she doesn't seem weak. She did eat a bit on her own but I gave her some regular feed, and her stool appears perfectly normal with no sign of blood. I fear that a whole tablet might be a bit too much for her, and she's a few months old at this point.

You can cut the tablet in half and crush it in food or water. Yes, human vitamin B complex tablets from a pharmacy are excellent to use in chickens. I would give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily.

Many times it is hard to tell whether they are weak, sick, bullied, or injured. I hope that you can make her better.

You can cut the tablet in half and crush it in food or water. Yes, human vitamin B complex tablets from a pharmacy are excellent to use in chickens. I would give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily.

Many times it is hard to tell whether they are weak, sick, bullied, or injured. I hope that you can make her better.
I'll do my best. I feel like she'll be ok.

Back
Top Bottom