Chick with neck wounds

GoldenGrouse

Hatching
May 23, 2022
I have a 3 week old chick with a couple wounds on the back of its neck. I had noticed the week prior that the skin I could see peeking through its neck fluff was pinker/redder than the rest but there were no open wounds or real cause for concern. Last night I noticed the open wounds and that the skin was very inflamed and swollen in the area. I’ve separated the chick from the others and have been cleaning the wounds (that are fairly superficial).

Now it’s just a matter of keeping it from scratching at the wounds—which it does often. That and the location of the wounds on either side of the neck/head make me think the chick created the wounds itself by scratching at irritated skin or maybe a mosquito bite??? Has anybody encountered sores cause by skin irritation or bug bites in chicks like this before?

(I’ve filed down its nails and tried wrapping the area to prevent further scratching. Might try wrapping its feet next if all else fails. It’s eating, drinking acting normal)

Here’s a photo of the chick.

Attachments

• IMG_7909.jpeg
    IMG_7909.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 9
Here’s a photo of the chick.
I wouldn’t file down nails or do anything like that. Chickens are farm animals and need their nails. Looks like she was being bullied. I mean she might have done that to herself but it looks more like another chicken was picking on her. Did you check for mites? She is missing a lot of feathers on top of the wounds and it seems swollen. I’d ask the vet for some antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom