Chick with necrotic foot tissue

toischebonne

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2015
I have a chick that got hatch gunk wrapped around the bottom of its leg in the incubator. It had dried by the time I discovered it (when I removed them all from the incubator). I took it off immediately but I guess it wasn't soon enough. I'm going to post initial pics from the day after and current ones from today (a week later). It looks to me like her toes have died. Do I need to amputate? If so, where? Her whole leg? Thanks in advance for any advice, I feel awful for this little thing. She's running around and eating/drinking completely fine.
Chickday1.jpg
Chickday1.jpg Chickday1b.jpg Chickday8a.jpg Chickday8b.jpg

You should get the bab to a vet if possible. I haven't experienced this personally, but that looks pretty gross.

I hope it all goes well for you ;-;

Leave it be...if the gunk cut circulation off to point of killing the tissue they will fall off on there own...all that ugly may be from bruising and injury. If the bird is playing, eating , and drinking then it's not causing too much of issue.

I'm just a beginner here, so take this with a grain of salt. We had a chicken that was already mostly grown and broke her leg somehow. It looked very similar, but not quite so dark. No vets who take chickens here close by. We tried little splints and things, but those things seem to distress her more. It initially healed and it was straight, but then she reinjured. Now its crooked, but healed again. She is the one in charge and does have a bit of a gimpy gait, but it doesn't slow her down.

I'm just a beginner here, so take this with a grain of salt. We had a chicken that was already mostly grown and broke her leg somehow. It looked very similar, but not quite so dark. No vets who take chickens here close by. We tried little splints and things, but those things seem to distress her more. It initially healed and it was straight, but then she reinjured. Now its crooked, but healed again. She is the one in charge and does have a bit of a gimpy gait, but it doesn't slow her down.
:goodpost:Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom