Chick with Poop Troubles

2theDogz

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
I have an 11wk bantam cochin chick that I removed from Mom/ siblings at 7 weeks when I noticed it seemed to be constipated w/a messy butt.
Not typical pasty butt. Initially only passing urates. White, wet, sticky.
Over the last 3-4 weeks I've tried a dietary fixes including probiotics, grit mineral oil, scrambled eggs,medicated crumble softened with applesauce & a little yogurt, now fermented feed for a week.
Week 1 Constipation resolved with normal poop but still urate discharge. Vent swollen & uncomfortable when she poops...makes low chirping noises as she strains. So I treated with Monistat week 2, thinking possible gleet. Little to no improvement.
I added a little ACV to her water. No change.
She doesn't act sick, but growth is stunted. She's finally growing some feathers back on her butt, so that's something at least.

What's next to try & help this girl? Deworming/ parasite treatment? Antibiotics? I have on hand
Fish Mox & cephalexin, tylan, duramycin, denagard, corid, safeguard & ivermectin.
At the end of the day I realize she could be failure to thrive, but want to address other possibilities before giving up. Any help greatly appreciated 🙏.

Last edited:
Your chick sounds like it's a failure to thrive (FTT) with late onset of symptoms. Typically these chicks hatch with undeveloped organs. They usually start showing symptoms by one week with pasty butt, constipation, failure to process nutrients for growth and body heat. They are noticeably smaller than the others by age two weeks. They are always hugging the heat source because they're always cold. This all acts together, and the chick usually fails to thrive and it dies.

Giving oil is about all you can do for the constipation. And I would stop giving applesauce because it's about the only fruit that won't help and could prolong the condition.

Giving special feedings of protein can help, tofu and eggs are good choices as extra nutrients sometimes help the chick grow.

Your chick sounds like it's a failure to thrive (FTT) with late onset of symptoms. Typically these chicks hatch with undeveloped organs. They usually start showing symptoms by one week with pasty butt, constipation, failure to process nutrients for growth and body heat. They are noticeably smaller than the others by age two weeks. They are always hugging the heat source because they're always cold. This all acts together, and the chick usually fails to thrive and it dies.

Giving oil is about all you can do for the constipation. And I would stop giving applesauce because it's about the only fruit that won't help and could prolong the condition.

Giving special feedings of protein can help, tofu and eggs are good choices as extra nutrients sometimes help the chick grow.
Thank you. I did stop the applesauce once the Constipation alleviated in the first week.
She is alert & lively, so I just started taking her outside for brief intervals to see other chicks. I figure being isolated in a brooder for weeks is no life. I'll bump up the protein as advised. Do you think it's worth continuing to ferment her feed as well?

Thank you. I did stop the applesauce once the Constipation alleviated in the first week.
She is alert & lively, so I just started taking her outside for brief intervals to see other chicks. I figure being isolated in a brooder for weeks is no life. I'll bump up the protein as advised. Do you think it's worth continuing to ferment her feed as well?
Have you tried just plain raw runny egg? Or boiled egg yolk?

I had a chick that had major issues and that got her through.

Have you tried just plain raw runny egg? Or boiled egg yolk?

I had a chick that had major issues and that got her through.
No, just the scrambled eggs. I may crumble some hard boiled yolk into her feed though. The fermenting does seem to be making some difference, and her tail/vent area feathering is beginning to come in nicely. Overall I would say the sticky white stuff issue has improved about 50%. It's still catching in her feathers, but not her vent.
Putting her outside & letting her get some sun & forage a bit hopefully won't set her back. Hoping letting her be a chicken part of the day may help.

Back
Top Bottom