Chick with severe leg issues

OMG thank you so much. Fortunately it's not often, but when there's a chick who needs the help, this design will come in so handy!!
No problem. I wasn’t able to heal the bad leg but it really helped to strengthen her good leg and get her used to being upright and trying to use it. She’s got a strong spirit this one. She just needed a little extra care and support. I never thought I’d love a chicken this much. Haha!!

No problem. I wasn’t able to heal the bad leg but it really helped to strengthen her good leg and get her used to being upright and trying to use it. She’s got a strong spirit this one. She just needed a little extra care and support. I never thought I’d love a chicken this much. Haha!!

Yes, they worm their way right into our hearts, especially when they need special care. As an adult, the good leg ended up bowing way out while the broken leg looks relatively normal but doesn't have the best range of motion. One of these days I'll remember to take a picture.

Thankfully, he's almost bantam sized, so there's not a huge amount of weight to support now that he's matured. This was weeks into the healing process - that big scab above the hock was 3/4 the way around the leg with no skin. The worst part was up higher in the thigh/hip --- so once the skin and bone in the 'drumstick' allowed it, I used vetwrap to tape his upper leg against his body and he started jumping around almost immediately. Quite the process!

I wish I'd seen your awesome sling back then!

P1280471 (2).JPG

Yes will get pics and such.

she has been on Nutri drench for the first few days then I was just offering once a day straight and regular water the rest of the time. I haven’t in the last couple of days.

she does stretch her legs. I’ll get a video tomorrow when I change her brace.
Poultry Nutri-Drench does not have B2 as far as I know. You need B2(Riboflavin) for leg health/issues.
Get some human b-complex and give her 1/4 tablet daily.

Back
Top Bottom