Chick with slipped tendon/swollen hock with sore? Update

Quote:
I just moved the tendon back into place. If you extend the leg carefully it does it mostly on its own. Then I used ace bandage that sticks to itself and wrapped the leg mostly straight still has a slight almost natural bend to it. The chick chair is something I saw online. I have a post in incubating where someone posted a link. They have a picture of one and I improvised. I will take a picture of mine later. My advice is worthless though. I have no idea if I am doing anything right. I really just need the darn wound to heal so I can't concentrate on the leg. I'll be heartbroken if the chick doesn't make it.

Next on the agenda.... I read that pushing the tendon in place can take several tries. It's been over night and it's not sticking. Will just keeping the leg straight/still/without pressure be ok for a couple of days till it hopefully stays in place? It is in place when leg is straight. I know next to nothing about chickens.

Last edited:
Almost forgot. Since I straightened the egg last night he finished of all his water and most of his food. So 2 tbsp food and 3 water for yesterday. Is that a good amount?

Well he seems to be doing much better. He's eating lots and drinking a ton. The swelling has gone down and the wound is healing. The tendon bit is still a mystery. Since the leg is casted the tendon is in place. Last night I took it off to get an idea if the tendon is staying in place when the cast is off but he's having trouble using that leg still. The Tendon seemed to stay in place. I think once the wound is completely healed it will be easier to deal with the tendon and am hoping by keeping the leg straight that it will stretch as he grows and not cause him to be lame. Will shall see how it goes.

fl.gif
I've got my fingers crossed for you both, for him to heal without problems and for you to know what to do to help him.. Bless you for keeping at it.

Quote:
Thank you. I really want to help him just wish I knew I was doing the right thing. So hard to tell if I am making him better or compounding the problem with my treatment. He is doing so well minus the leg bit. Tomorrow night I am going to start weighing him to see if he's growing. I only mess with him once a day at night. I redress the leg and clean it up. Otherwise he stays in his chair and I feel so bad for him.

Made the decision to cull the little guy today. Was making progress but took a turn for the worse last night. While I was changing his dressing to clean his wound he reslipped the tendon and the wound opened back up. This morning I checked the leg and it had swollen so much. I thought about restarting treatment but it's been a week since this problem started and I couldn't imagine it getting any better. My boyfriend took care of it. I am still horrified and crying. First chick we've lost. Saddest day ever.

I'm sorry for you but you did the right thing for the little guy. Having chickens means making some tough decisions sometimes and some people wait too long. I think you tried everything you could for as long as you could help and did the right thing at the right time. No more pain for the little guy and now you can focus on tending the rest of the hatch. Don't beat yourself up. You did good...

hiya, i have a chick at the moment, one of to that i rescued from the store, the other died four days after we tried to save it, but the one that is alive looked good for a while, then its hock swelled up five times bigger then the other, and the swell is very hard, i am thinking it has already hardened its bones or something, but from the swell, and not being able to bend its leg, its gotten spradle leg, i am wondering what i can do for it before it is too late. please help me out! i will only put him down if it is to get it out of its misery!

Back
Top Bottom