1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick with something attached? what should i do? please help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lothefarmer, Jun 30, 2011.

1. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    i really have no idea what it is... it was bright red and squishy before, and i could see some veins in it... it's dried now and the baby is okay, which is a good sign, right?

[​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Seems like it might of hatched a bit early....was the humidity to high to early in the hatch???

You need to make sure that the Vent is not blocked or plugged due to the membrane being there!

You can take a warm wash cloth and hold the chick on there until the area becomes soft enough for you to clean it up a bit.... also a wet wash cloth on a heating pad works well too.

3. lothefarmer

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    it was actually hatched late, the natural way. i don't use an incubator. the vent was the first thing i checked out on her.. so i can safely remove the membrane now that its dried?

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I would moisten it up like described above and work with it slowly..you may have to trim some down...but be careful not to cut the skin.

5. lothefarmer

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    Quote:I would moisten it up like described above and work with it slowly..you may have to trim some down...but be careful not to cut the skin.

alright, thanks for the advice. ill do that.

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by