Chick with splayed leg

Ezzfletcher

Chirping
Apr 7, 2019
Got some eggs for my broody but they didn't hatch and she was still broody so I introduced some chicks to her which didn't go according to plan and I have them in the house now. One is 3 days old and I noticed it had a splayed leg I googled it and it out medical tape round and shackled it's legs together and it apears to be doing well but just wondered what the success rate of this is or if there's anything else I need to do and how long should I leave the little guy before taking it off thanks

I have used this method for fixing splay leg. I change the "bandage" once a day, and after two days let the chick try to stand on its own before replacing the bandage.

I don't use medical tape. I use the flex tape that sticks to itself but not skin. The people version is just like the pet version, only cheaper.

IMG_20190913_131134890.jpg

I have about 80 percent success rate. In my opinion, and I might be wrong, the chicks who successfully graduate to walking on their own probably only had this one problem with the leg or hip, and the others may have had multiple other problems that I couldn't see.

Got some eggs for my broody but they didn't hatch and she was still broody so I introduced some chicks to her which didn't go according to plan and I have them in the house now. One is 3 days old and I noticed it had a splayed leg I googled it and it out medical tape round and shackled it's legs together and it apears to be doing well but just wondered what the success rate of this is or if there's anything else I need to do and how long should I leave the little guy before taking it off thanks

I had a 2 week old chick with splay leg. I used bandage on her legs. It took 1 week to fix it as she was bit older. I just keep checking on her every couple days if she can stand on her one. Now she is happy girl 5 weeks old. Hope it helps :) All the best with your little one

Back
Top Bottom