Chick with spraddle leg and won’t open eyes! Help?!

Chickenmama7925

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
This baby hatched about 8am this morning, it’s having a rough start to this life thing. It has spraddle leg and won’t open its eyes. I taped the legs for support so it seems to trying to stand now but it still won’t open its eyes. It’s beak also looks a little smaller compared to the other 4 chicks that hatched this morning. Any help would be appreciated. I don’t have the money to run out and get anything so I was wondering about what I could use from home??? TIA!!!

Attachments

• 713B20BD-E4A7-4516-9E33-9A158F1A4BD8.jpeg
    713B20BD-E4A7-4516-9E33-9A158F1A4BD8.jpeg
    430.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 521F91E9-8D81-4CE9-AC86-94EF49A09812.jpeg
    521F91E9-8D81-4CE9-AC86-94EF49A09812.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 18
To start off, she needs to be on something besides cardboard. The cardboard will make her legs weaker from sliding around. Place a towel inside or something to give her traction.

If you have chick electrolytes on hand, or hydro hen, that can give her a bit of energy.

I would give her a support for her legs, either using the bandaid method or tape method again. Sometimes it has to stay on for a day or two before it does anything. Just make sure it's not cutting off her circulation.

I'll tag some others here just in case they have more advice. @Eggcessive @sourland @azygous

I
To start off, she needs to be on something besides cardboard. The cardboard will make her legs weaker from sliding around. Place a towel inside or something to give her traction.

If you have chick electrolytes on hand, or hydro hen, that can give her a bit of energy.

I would give her a support for her legs, either using the bandaid method or tape method again. Sometimes it has to stay on for a day or two before it does anything. Just make sure it's not cutting off her circulation

it is not on cardboard it was only in the box for a min it put it back in the incubator for the time being. I do have hydrogen I will
Give it some of that to hopefully boost its energy. I do have it’s legs taped for support so that is okay.

I would give her a support for her legs, either using the bandaid method or tape method again. Sometimes it has to stay on for a day or two before it does anything. Just make sure it's not cutting off her circulation.

I'll tag some others here just in case they have more advice. @Eggcessive @sourland @azygous
I cut a straw to the width her legs needed to be apart, slipped a small rubber band inside the straw and put the loop on each side around her legs. It wasn’t too tight Or too loose. She did not like it and I had to reapply many times, but after a few days, her legs were fine.

Back
Top Bottom