Chick with Spraddle Leg not getting fixed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Meznuraie, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Meznuraie

Meznuraie New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    QLD, Australia
    We hatched some Pekin chicks on the 11th November. (Easy to remember, being the day before my b'day, haha!)

We've had some before that when they're in the incubator, they don't walk, they just stick their legs out in front and flail with them frantically. I've fixed them in the past using twisty-ties from rubbish bags, but this time I'm having no luck.

I first put them on for 48 hours, it was walking fine, so I took them off. 3 hours later, it was walking like it was paddling, so I put them back on for another 2 days. Same thing again. Next time I left it on 3 days. Took it off, few hours later again walking like it's paddling. Left it on for another 4, same again. (at 7 days I changed to a pipe cleaner. Much easier to put on and take off, and the fuzziness is less rubbing on the legs)

It walks just fine while it has the hobbles on, and for a few hours after, but it just refuses to stay fixed. They've all been on sand since they were 5 days old in a fishtank. Being summer, it's way too hot for them to be anywhere else, and sawdust seems to make them hot. The other 10 chicks are racing around with no problems, it's just this one. I've even put a non-slip mat over half of the sand, and it has some better success walking on that, but it doesn't last.

Do I just keep the hobbles on for longer periods of time? I'd really rather not have to cull this one. It's one of the 5 girls out of the 11 chicks, and a very pretty colour. I've been thinking of using fishtank gravel instead of the sand. They're far too small to eat it. Could that help with traction for this chick?

2. peckyscotch

peckyscotch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    I'm not too sure but I hatched some light Sussex's and one of them had its legs stuck out behind it but it couldn't walk at all. We didn't think it had any chance of recovering so we had to cull it. [​IMG]

3. MargaretYakoda

MargaretYakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Irondale, Wa
    Maybe you would have better luck with a chick chair?

4. Meznuraie

Meznuraie New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    QLD, Australia
    I changed the sand for fishtank gravel, and after a day on the new surface, I took the hobble off to see how it coped. It's walking better, but one leg doesn't seem to work properly. It sits down on one leg like normal, but the other is semi stretched to the front and side, rather than being tucked under. It also "waddles" when it walks, leaning from side to side with each step. It's getting around alright on the gravel, so i'll keep an eye on it and see if the exercise helps it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by