chick with swollen bum- **PIC ADDED** HELP PLEASE :D

Hunny

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Hey all,
The girls are probably 1 week and 1/2 old. One little black sexlink has a swollen butt. Doesnt appear to be pasty butt, there is nothing stuck there.
Its just swollen and sticking out.

My ideas are: Apple Cider Vinager (with mother) in their water, and soak the little ones bum in castor oil.

I also have Oyster Shell in the garage if you think that might be helpful. IDK.

Can someone give me a go ahead, or suggestion before I self medicate the little girl.

**Hunny

Last edited:
I'd say maybe she is blocked up but it could also be nothing. Keep an eye on her. A little olive oil around the vent to help her pass without pasting. Maybe a little warm water as well but dry her well. You have no need for the oystershell with chicks that young. Stay tuned, more fine chicken folks will be along.

Updating but still need assistance.

I ended up soaking her rear in the oil, she pooped immediatly after, but her vent is still swollen, red, and sticking out. She appears to be eating and drinking normal, however when I feel around her abdomen there is a lumb that I dont feel with the other chicks.

I saw her poop unassisted about 20 minutes after her first poo with the oil. I dont think she is backed up, but something is just not right.

Also, I cant seem to clean her up well enough to put her back in the brooder
tongue.png
Shes got quite the oily bum.

PLEASE post a response. Please
big_smile.png

49568_picture_222.jpg

Sorry its not very clear, her vent wont stop moving (duh) and my webcam sucks. But you can see how its sticking out.

I'm no expert but the fact that she's passing waste is good. The swelling could be from the fact that maybe she was straining to go. When my birds were that age their I noticed the moving vent you're talking about, but I never had problems with them. I wish I could be more help. Now that it's evening, you may get some more responses. Best of luck.

The lump you refer to? Could it be her crop? That's where the food is stored before it goes down. The fact that the other chicks don't have the lump could mean thay are passing food more easily.

Last edited:
Only change today is her vent is more swollen and more red/painful looking.

I have seperated her, although the other chicks were not pecking at her rear, I dont want to chance any of the other chicks getting whatever this is. Its clearly internal, and nothing I can do for it.

Still looking for helpful words of advice.
Thanks !

(I'm presistant! HA)

The swelling could be from where she was constipated--since you said she poohed after the oil, and then again on her own. I'd try a dab of Preparation H--it should help. I'd also keep her isolated, just so she doesn't get picked on. Is she still eating and drinking okay?

Quote:
I haven't had to deal with this myself, but the above advice sounds good and is what I would try if it were my chick. Good luck with her!!

I've had a few this week with pasty butt that have gotten that same red swelling around the vent afterwards, plus a little constipation. Try sitting her in a warm bath for a while to help soothe the irritation. A tiny bit of Epsom salt dissolved in the bath water might be nice too, just don't let her drink that. You can rub her vent with preparation H and some oil to reduce swelling and keep any poop from sticking to her and irritating her. On my constipated ones, I noticed that between the hind legs, the abdomen was all swollen and mushy feeling. I gave the affected chicks a couple drops each of olive oil by mouth and then massaged the crop, abdomen, and vent area gently after the bath, and they all pooped huge nasty poops within a short time and felt better. It did seem to take a few days for the swelling to go down though.

Back
Top Bottom