Chick with swollen eyeball

TNChickenKeeper

In the Brooder
May 14, 2021
I have 22 chicks that I began raising since April 26. All are doing great, but over a week ago I noticed one sitting down with her eye closed and it was very swollen...lids and all. We brought her inside to the "Henfirmary" and kept her away from all the others. We gave her Vetericyn and Terramycin 2-3 times per day, and also VetRx (on beak, head, chest...NOT in eye) twice per day. The swelling went down a lot on the lids, but the eyeball itself is pretty hazy and appears enlarged. We started reintroducing her back to the flock a little over the past couple days, and she's been picked on a little. I'm still worried about the eye...thinking she may be blind in that one eye, but not sure if we should continue to keep her away from the others, and continue the eye medicines? What do you guys think? Thanks!
OneEyeWilly.jpg

I have 22 chicks that I began raising since April 26. All are doing great, but over a week ago I noticed one sitting down with her eye closed and it was very swollen...lids and all. We brought her inside to the "Henfirmary" and kept her away from all the others. We gave her Vetericyn and Terramycin 2-3 times per day, and also VetRx (on beak, head, chest...NOT in eye) twice per day. The swelling went down a lot on the lids, but the eyeball itself is pretty hazy and appears enlarged. We started reintroducing her back to the flock a little over the past couple days, and she's been picked on a little. I'm still worried about the eye...thinking she may be blind in that one eye, but not sure if we should continue to keep her away from the others, and continue the eye medicines? What do you guys think? Thanks!View attachment 2720773
that gross i dont know what to do but hope it get better
@TheOddOneOut @LadiesAndJane @FeatherTay @EverythingDucks should help! :wee
Thanks for the tag, though I am no expert. Could be ocular Mareks if the eye ball appears hazy. You should keep the bird separate from the rest of the flock, in case it is a contagious disease.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply.

I've only ever seen enlarged eyeballs in newly hatched chicks, never in older ones. and with mine, they eye was always lost. My equine vet said something like "all eye injuries & problems should be treated ASAP". If possible, take your chick to a vet.

Thanks for the tag, though I am no expert. Could be ocular Mareks if the eye ball appears hazy. You should keep the bird separate from the rest of the flock, in case it is a contagious disease.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply.
mareks that make since! poor chicken:(

Back
Top Bottom