Chick with swollen foot

jdaly91215

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
I have a 4 day old Cornish cross with a swollen foot. I don't see any injuries what so ever. No scabs or anything. Could it still be bumblefoot? And should I try lancing it even though there's no scab? I don't want to stress the baby too badly but it definitely bothers him. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

I doubt that it would be bumblefoot in a 4 day old chick, but maybe a splinter or a peck could have done it. Check to make sure a string or something hasn't cut off circulation. A picture would be helpful.

It's the left foot (on the right in the picture)

It's worse now than it was earlier. Still don't see any indication of a wound. What else could it be? I had them on paper towels by the way. Could it be broken? I'm going to separate her today to make sure she's near the food and water. Anyone think it's worth lancing? I may also take her to the vet tomorrow, I feel so bad :(

I don't think it's a slipped tendon, but thank you for the suggestion. Here's updated pics

Oh my, that does look a lot worse today. I would probably guess that it is broken. You could try splinting it with vet wrap strips for a couple of weeks, but seeing the vet would be best if it is affordable.

The chick died overnight :( I think that's so strange, though I suppose she was very young and if it was an aggressive infection it would have done it. The swelling developed so quickly but she was still eating and drinking. I made sure the food and water were close by. I may send her for a necropsy if Cornell does them for free and if not I'll do what i can myself, at least open up the swelling.

Thanks for your help.

If it is possible, I would get a necropsy. I wondered about mycoplasma synoviae, but have not read about it affecting such a young chick. Since I am just an amateur, I don't know enough about that, but I would think that staph infection could also be a possibility. Avian encephalomyelitis can cause leg problems in young chicks also. Please update your thread if and when you find out any more info. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom