chick with taco neck syndrome!

agnes_day

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
oklahoma
i have a bantam chick, about 5 weeks that is absolutely fine, except that when you hold her/him, her head goes completely sideways...almost upside down! it holds it just fine when its sitting down though.

Sounds like it could have crooked neck. If you will get some Some sublingual B12 that has other essential minerals from walmart and give a dropper ful daily it really does help. Give for a least a week or so.

Two possibilites that come to mind first:

1. Could it be blind or have trouble seeing? I had a rooster go blind and he would do the same thing, since he couldn't feel the ground below him to get his barings. Here's a pic (right after I put him down, before he got his barings.)

Picture942.jpg

2. I had a duckling that had a stoke early one and ever since he holds his neck crooked. Could something similar have happened?

Picture219-1.jpg

it sees really well, it just turns its head almost upside down when you pick it up..otherwise, perfectly normal..we noticed it after we brought it and some others home. we call it "taco neck terry"
lol.png

Bama is probably right - it may have a touch of crooked neck. That is weird that it only holds it's head upside down when you pick it up, though. Anyway, I would try the B-12 just in case. You certainly don't want it to go untreated if that's what it is. Hope it turns out ok. Repost if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom