newbie-chick-mom

Hatching
Apr 12, 2024
We got our new chicks one week ago. This is also our first time raising chicks.

They were doing fine the past week but last night one of them died. We are not exactly sure why but after a lot of research today, we think sudden death syndrome.

Anyway, all of sudden today the other 3 seem to against each other. Two of them are jumping at the others seemingly measly and the other jumps back.

I am worried about bullying but I also don't know if they are just stressed because they lost their friend.

I also should mention that the lone one has some bald spots, I haven't been able to figure if it is just cause she's loosing her down and growing new feathers or if it is a sign of illness. I am going to post another question once I get some photos of what she looks like.

I mention this because maybe the other is sick and they pick on her because of that.

There isn't any blood drawn and I have not seen them pick out each other feathers. Should we separate them or will this go away on its own?

We were also hoping to get a new chick at some point, is it safe to do that? Or should we wait till they are used to the other one being gone?

We are really not sure. Thank y'all.

The chick that passed was at the bottom of the pecking order. They are now figuring out who is now at the bottom

Were the chicks newly arrived when you got them, or were they a bit older? Young chicks shouldn't really have bullying issues but I don't want to assume they're 1 week old if they were actually older to start.

Any photos of your brooder set up? What are you using for heat and what are the temps (if you know) in the hottest area and the coolest?

Back
Top Bottom