Chick with turned-in leg

krv

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Hi,
We just had a few chicks hatch out and one of the chicks, 3 days old, has a leg that wants to turn inward. At times, it turns almost all the way toward the back, but not completely backward. I feel so sorry for it. It can not walk at all, and because of that it falls over on it's side and can't get up. We have to help it get a drink. We tried to tape it's feet to cardboard to keep it pointing the correct way, but one of his feet just keeps coming loose. When he is taped to the cardboard, he can stand on his legs, but soon falls over. What can we do to help it? Any ideas?

Below is a picture of him. Sorry it is blurry, but this was the best picture that showed how his leg turns inward.

krv

9700_img_0276.jpg

Hope someone knowledgable responds. I have a chick with a turned-out leg -- not spraddle leg but probably a slipped tendon. From everything I've read, it could be a vitamin deficiency or simply a birth defect.

Good luck with your baby chick. I'm still trying to decide how to deal with mine.

Thanks for responding.

Can anyone else help me? I will probably have to put it down, but I just want to find out if there is anything that I can do to help it get better.

Thanks,
krv

It's hip is either dislocated or deformed. If it's dislocated, take it to a vet to have it set. This needs to happen ASAP otherwise the hip will break. If it's deformed, there is nothing you can do and it's best to have it put down because it will never walk.

Back
Top Bottom