chick with underbite?

LeghornLisa

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Hi Guys,

Here's the thing. I have 4 new baby chicks that are 3 weeks old. One of them I am concerned about. She is a Salmon Faverolle named Lucy. The other girls are 2 Auracanas and one Golden Campine. I noticed that Lucy spend a lot of time at the feeder, all the other are sleeping and she is still pecking away at the food. Last night my husband and I watched her eat and eat and eat, it seemed to go on forever but she is the smallest of the four girls. Tonight I noticed that her beak is very differnt from the others. It never seems to close completely. It's like she has an underbite. The top of her beak is curved and the bottom is straight and longer than the top. When she drinks she doesn't lift her head she seems to peck at the water, I do see her life her head now and then to swallow the water. what can I do to help her? Is this a normal thing for Faverolles??

Quote:
Yes please
smile.png

No she wasn't debeaked, I got her from McMurray Hatchery on March 7th. I thought it was strange that she is always at the feeder, I never noticed the beak thing till yesterday. I will do my best to post a picture later today when my daughter gets home from school, she is the computer whiz.

Hi,

I know that each chicken will be different, but if it helps my WA Warren has a huge underbite and she is health, happy, laying every other day and is three yrs old. She tends to eat little and oftern, and will choose to eat at th feeder/scraps when the others are off doing their own thing.

If she is growing I think that you should let her be, but if she begins to fail to thrive thats when I think you should worry.

Thanks everyone...you made me feel better Sparkly Diamond, yes she has a mean underbite but her beak is never completely closed because of it...does that alone cause a problem? I guess the bottom line is she is eating and drinking and growing (slowly) .....I'll take it and hope she grows into that bottom lip
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom