1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with unknown growth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DiveJedi, May 17, 2017.

1. DiveJedi

DiveJedi Out Of The Brooder

Hi Everyone, I recently got my first batch of chicks from a hatchery, 25 little Plymouth Barred Rocks. I was having to deal with some "pasty butt" issues and in checking their vents for cleanliness I notice something different on two of them. It looks like there is something going on with their umbilical cords. (see pictures below). I can't quite tell if its the umbilical cord or not but it looks like a hard, dark red/black ball attached at the belly button. Has anyone had experience with this before? I want to catch it if its serious before anything happens. Luckily it is hidden in the down and on their underside so the other chicks aren't pecking at it. The chicks are still eating and drinking as normal and are not especially sensitive in the area but I thought if there was someone that had seen this before they'd be on BYC. Thanks folks!
    20170516_222712.jpg

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

It just looks like the umbilical happens to have a scab. That doesn't usually happen, but it's perfectly fine, just keep an eye on it to catch any picking

DiveJedi likes this.
  3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Do not pull it off.

4. DiveJedi

No plans to, before I started cleaning them I did some research to make sure I didnt mistake the belly button for poo. Thanks though!

KikisGirls likes this.
  5. DiveJedi

Yeah I had read about it but couldn't see any photos that looked the same. Will keep an eye on them! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by