Chick with very crooked beak, what should we do to help?

Scottyhorse

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 26, 2012
Eastern Wa
Hi, so today when I was letting the chickens out of the coop, I noticed one of the silky cross chick beak looked funny. So I caught it and noticed it was really crooked. The top beak it almost like a Parrots, how it curves. The bottom just went straight out. So I took it inside and me and my brother clipped it to the quik (sp?) with some toenail clippers.

The chick is about 2- 2 1/2 moths old. What should we do to help? It seems to be eating fairly well, but it is a little smaller than the others. Right now for treatment I am thinking that we will just have to keep trimming it until all the growth that is there now is gone, like a horse hoof kinda. Is this treatable or survivable? Here are a couple pictures of it. Sorry they are bad quality, I just took them in the barn with my ipod.

Thanks in advance!

Yes you will need to keep it trimmed. Also monitor her and see if she is eating and drinking enough.
Okay, I caught her this morning and it doesn't seem to be quite as bad already! She must be eating and drinking fairly well, because this couldn't have happened over night. I feel really bad. Will we need to keep it trimmed forever, or will it correct itself and be okay?

Okay, I caught her this morning and it doesn't seem to be quite as bad already! She must be eating and drinking fairly well, because this couldn't have happened over night. I feel really bad. Will we need to keep it trimmed forever, or will it correct itself and be okay? 

After trimming it for a while it will get better, but i dont think it will ever be normal. So yes you will need to keep trimming it.

Back
Top Bottom