Chick won't open eyes...your experiences??

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
I have a silkie chick that hatched morning that was VERY sleepy with not a lot of activity for the first 6 or so hours. It did open it's eyes in the beginning, but just tended to close them and sleep a lot. It has perked up quite a bit, but now doesn't open it's eyes at all. I've put a light film of polysporin over the lids to make sure they aren't stuck. I can force them open with my fingers, but it closes them immediately again. It will drink when I dip it's beak but isn't eating at all. I can't tell if the chick is blind. I had a chick born without eyes...that was different.

Also, this chick has a very strange peep. In humans we would call it a "cat's cry". Anyone with any experience like this?

I'm fairly certain this chick will need to be euthanized, but just looking for input prior to doing that.

I say give it 24 hours and then you can get a better assessment. You will *know* then what to do. I have had them start off slow then do fine, and some not. Good luck
fl.gif

Krista

Hi, I was wondering how this turned out for you? I have a silkie baby that hatched about 4 am last night that is still acting this same way. Sleeping alot, won't open eyes very often, seem to be able to see but just isn't acting like the others. I tryed cleaning the eye area with a moist qtip thinking maybe something was bothering him but it still will barely open them. Did your come around or am I in for a heart break?

I had a Frizzle chick born yesterday that was doing that. I just pulled (gently) his eyelids open a couple of times and now he's fine. Since you know they will open and aren't fused, just pull them apart and see if he can keep them open after that.

Back
Top Bottom