Chick won't stop chirping and wants constant attention

tiffnichole20

In the Brooder
May 6, 2017
Ironton, Ohio
I have an Araucana pullet that just lost her cagemate this evening. She hasn't stopped chirping since and I'm kinda worried.
she's the lighter of the two also I took the picture before I cleaned the cage so please excuse the mess

Last edited:
You will need to find more chicks for company, get at least 2 more so the same thing doesn't happen again. You can try giving it a stuffed toy in the meantime.

@oldhenlikesdogsI gave her a stuffed animal I warmed up with a blow dryer & @junebuggena I'm using clean fuzzy winter socks that I've cut open & warmed with a blow dryer. She's disinterested in both objects and is staying as close to me as she can (I can't leave the room or she goes nuts) and she's currently using me as a jungle gym.

@oldhenlikesdogs I gave her a stuffed animal I warmed up with a blow dryer & @junebuggena I'm using clean fuzzy winter socks that I've cut open & warmed with a blow dryer. She's disinterested in both objects and is staying as close to me as she can (I can't leave the room or she goes nuts) and she's currently using me as a jungle gym.
So you have no way of providing a constant heat source. That should be your first priority. Young chicks can not keep themselves at the proper body temp. They need to be able to warm up. With a broody hen to care for them, this is accomplished by the chicks snuggling up under her feathers. Chicks without a hen to take care of them, need an artificial source such as a heating pad or heat lamp.
That should be your first priority. Otherwise, this chick will also die.
Do you have a desk lamp with at least a 60 watt bulb? That might be able to put out enough heat.

Last edited:
@junebuggena I should've clarified her age and the circumstances of her cagemate's death. She's about a month old and has almost all of her feathers. Her cagemate​ died due to injuries she got when my sister's cat attacked her yesterday evening. Prior to the attack, they were outside 24/7 and the temp was around 40 degrees at night

that's cold weather for a chick so young, maybe she is older than you think especially if she is feathered out (no more downy chick fuzz). You could try getting another chick around her age for company - chickens are flock animals. Otherwise you can make her a house chicken and she can be around you a lot and you become her flock. You can check out "people with house chickens."

@drumstick diva I have it planned to turn her into a house chicken. The cat is gone the first chance I get to rehome it, for other reasons though. And as for rehoming my chick, I don't really trust anyone with her.
this is the best pic I could get of her to show her feathering

Back
Top Bottom