chick won't stop crying!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Aug 21, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I moved my almost 5 week old chicks to the huge brooder cuz I had some chicks hatch. I turned their heat lamp off last night but ended up putting it back on cuz they complained. Well today I moved them and needed the lamp, one of the chicks is distraught. I don't have another lamp but they are in the house and the chart I read said they can handle 70 degrees. I feel like I'm fighting with one of my kids [​IMG] . I hope it gives up and just goes to sleep [​IMG]

Krista

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

is it COMPLETELY feathered? some feather slower than others, and it may in fact be cold. could you separate a small portion of the brooder w/ new chicks in it and put the one doing the crying in the separate area? if it is cold, you might also throw an old towel in the dryer, get it good and toasty warm, then put that in with the older chicks. The warmth may comfort and relax them enough to get them to sleep.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Yes they are feathered, not fuzzy. there are 13 in there, shouldn't they be able to cuddle? I think it might have more to do with the light. They had a red light but now since it's night, it's dark. It's at least 70 in there

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are probably used to the light and are scared of the dark. I take away lights at about 6 weeks old regardless and mine live outside in the spring where nights get into the 40's still. However, they are acclimated to free raining during the day so any drastic changes will take getting used to. Bringing birds accustomed to 80F to 40F at any age isn't very good.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:how long do yours cry for?

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I had a cry-baby in my one and only time through this, and I suspected it was that I had just taken away their light- I stole my daughters' nightlight from the other bathroom and gave it to the chicks- they went out in just a bit!

Good luck!

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I guess mine are just spoiled then. I keep a light on them until at least 8 weeks. I do move it farther away so it gives them a bit less heat. I rarely have 25 chicks at a time (which is the number that the hatcheries use) to be able to produce enough heat to keep warm. I think they generally do better when they have the heat a bit longer.

8. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    I think your older chicks are missing the light being on all day and all night.

I've had my chicks since day 4 (2 weeks now) and I have turned their light off at night.

Maybe I'm lucky because the inside house temp is between 74-76 degrees all day long and my box is away from windows and a/c vents.

Before turning their light off, I cover the brooder box with a heavy bath towel and a light weight throw blanket. I leave the red light on for about a 1/2 hour more and then turn it off. The will make a lot of racket, but then settle down by the time the light is turned out and sleep the whole night through.

When I wake up in the morning, I turn on the light and about a 1/2 hour later take the covers off... By then, they are all running around ready to eat and have their fresh container of water.

None seem worse for ware and are growing happy and healthy.

Depending on your box set up, you may want to try the blanket method and turn off the light about a half hour after covering them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by