Chickadee90 Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickadee90, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Chickadee90

Chickadee90 In the Brooder

May 9, 2019
    Hi everyone!
    My name is Bethany and I am new to the Chicken world! :) I originally started out with 6 baby chicks on Easter of 2019. Unfortunately we lost one and had to re-home another. I'm not sure what happened to the first one, but they started pecking the second and I panicked and wanted her to be safe with someone who had more experience. So we are down to 4! And I LOVE them! :love
    We purchased them from Rural King, and I honestly am not sure the breed of any of them! We picked them from the assorted breed of straight runs and I'm still not even sure if all of them are hens! Someone had said they think our two larger black chicks are Jersey Giants but I have no idea! The other two may be Golden Comets, based on the research that I have done myself!
    I have absolutely fell in love with all of them! I am a stay at home mom at the moment so I have the free time to sit and hang out with them and they are very tame and friendly! They eat out of my hand, they let us pet them and pick them up, and they follow us around. It's adorable.

We originally purchased our chicks for our kids (age 4 & 7) both boys! My in-laws have chickens and the boys loved helping care for them and wanted some of their own. That soon changed once they got bored with them HAHA. I am a HUGE animal lover, and deep down I wanted them myself and just told my husband I was getting them for the boys so I could get them :lol:
    I have been doing research since I've had them, so I can properly care for them and have learned a little along the way. But I still have a lot to learn. That is how I found Backyard Chickens! And I'm glad that I did! Everyone seems to be very active on the forums and tries to be as helpful as possible. We have ran into another problem recently :( and I'm hoping I can find help here, and decided to join after reading such great feedback!
    Well I think I have covered all of the basics so far, so I'll quit rambling :D I'm happy to be apart of the community!
    -Bethany

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Bethany, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Feel free to start a new thread in the Breed and Gender forum with pictures of your chicks and we'll let you know what we think they are.
    You likely do have cockerels if you bought SR. With two young boys, please be very careful if you decide to keep ONE of them. Cockerel chicks start off very friendly but when the hormones kick in, their personalities frequently change drastically. Be ready for that.

3. Camellia

Camellia Songster

May 14, 2019
    Austria
    Welcome to byc! We're glad to have you :ya

4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello Bethany and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    fldiver97, Pork Pie, 007Sean and 5 others like this.
  6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

7. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Welcome Cool.gif

You are at the best place to help you on your Chicken Journey!

8. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens Bethany

9. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello Bethany,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us!

10. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Bethany :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: