Chicken’s wing feathers are hanging down on one side

mK7402

Hatching
Aug 8, 2021
Hi! One of my hen’s wing feathers are hanging down, and looks very weird. I am trying to figure out if it is just the feathers, or if there is an injury to the wing. We were away for about a week, and the person looking after the hens, didn’t mention anything. However, when we got home, we noticed that her wing feathers looked really off. Other than that, she is acting completely normal. Eating, active, foraging, laying eggs. Our other hen recently molted her tail feathers, and the new ones are growing in. I did notice some of this hen’s feathers in the scratch yard- could she be molting too?

here are pics showing bad side vs. good side. Thanks!
46FD2E93-D258-461E-871C-91493CD2B478.jpeg
03854C61-8315-4E42-B523-47709239CAB2.jpeg

Drooping wing could be from dehydration (especially if both wings,) a broken wing injury, or something neurological, such as Mareks disease. Hopefully, it is an injury from bumping or being injured. You can bandage the wing in a figure 8 dressing, but I would investigate it further to find out if it is an injury first.

Drooping wing could be from dehydration (especially if both wings,) a broken wing injury, or something neurological, such as Mareks disease. Hopefully, it is an injury from bumping or being injured. You can bandage the wing in a figure 8 dressing, but I would investigate it further to find out if it is an injury first.
So it’s just one wing, and they have plenty of water- so not thinking it’s dehydration… how can I investigate to see if it’s an injury? I literally know nothing! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom