LauLau_Mama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Collin County, TX
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Delaware Hen, 14 months, 3-4 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She's not as active as the other hens, for instance when I let them out of their coop in the mornings they all (5 total) run together to a certain area in our backyard (2acres) everyday. Yesterday and today she has been hanging back and seems disoriented. She does not seem dizzy, but just as if she can't see quite clearly. Her tail is lowered and she seems to want to lay down.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since yesterday, October 3rd, 2010

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing to my knowledge. The only 'different' thing I observed is she laid an egg while roosting at night, last night......check in on her at 11 pm ( I know, Obsessed!)

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She has been drinking water. Brought her in today to monitor, she ate a little yogurt and some grapes. When I fed out at the coop today she pecked, but didn't really eat.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
No blood or anything different.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None at this point. Just brought her in to watch her and separate her from other hens.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would like to treat.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She is in our house in an enclosed room. We have a jungle room with a hot tub. The hot tub is empty.

If you have any answers it would be so appreciated! I love my feather babies
smile.png
By the way, we call her Broody, b/c she does go broody every once in a while.

Hi~ I have a 6 month old Orpington who has been displaying similar symptoms...I just checked her over and it looks like she has mites/lice (not sure which) have you investigated for either of these? All my other chickens seem to be fine too.

Back
Top Bottom