Chicken acting Listless and odd.

chickengirl2016

Chirping
Aug 31, 2018
Hello everyone,
I have 4 chickens, 2 of which are Cinnamon Queens, one Black Star, and a golden laced wyandotte.(I had two more, but one turned out to be a boy, and one sadly passed away do to what we think was a heat related heart attack, back in early July)
This thread is about one of my Cinnamon queens.
Last night I brought them back over to their coop from their "hawk protective run" and everyone seemed fine. I usually collect about 3 eggs a day, sometimes 4, but yesterday was a 3 egg day. We have one chicken(we don't know which one) who randomly and notoriously lays quail sized eggs. I don't know if this info is relevant at all, but I figured i'd mention it.
This morning, we let the chickens out and one of my cinnies was acting odd, not eating or drinking, heavy breathing(occasionally) not running around with the others, heart rate was pretty fast. Her crop is empty, her vent seems okay (Im not 100% sure how to check it, but compared to the other chickens, it looked the same.) Her comb is a bit pale, she laid down briefly and kinda rocked back and forth, breathing hard. We let her out for a couple minutes, and she just stood in the same place. I mixed some food with water, and she ate a little bit of that. She seems to have her feathers puffed out some, but not because of heat, its 66F here this morning. She also was trying to fall asleep while standing, for awhile.

Our neighbor right behind us has recently really ramped up his bird feeding, bringing in all sorts of birds not 20 feet away from our coop, so im wondering if she may have gotten some type of worms or something from the many many birds that visits his yard?

I don't see any harm in deworming her(even deworming the others wouldn't hurt my feelings) butI have no clue which one to get from tractor supply. Which one should I get and how should I dose it?

I will post a video of how shes acting in a reply in a moment once it uploads to YT, it may seem like shes not acting too weird, but just know that they typically are a bit skittish and full of energy.

If any of your guys have seen this or can help in any way, please do.
Prayers and good thoughts are always welcome as well.
Thanks.

EDIT: turns out she has bumblefoot on both feet, was able to fix one foot, will fix the other tomorrow. Treating it as well as deworming all my birds. :)

Last edited:
Worms could be the issue, but it's more likely the thing making your hen sick is a bacterial infection. That's really not saying much to help you since infections can start from many different things.

It's possible the bumblefoot infection has gone systemic, spreading to the main part of the body, but that's an outside chance. It's possible your hen has coccidiosis and it's creating a bacterial infection in the intestines. It's possible an infection has occurred from the hen eating something she dug up in her run that has been harboring anaerobic bacteria such as botulism toxin.

The bottom line, when I find a chicken suddenly behaving with symptoms such as your hen has, I start an oral antibiotic immediately. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find some in a pet store selling pigeon or fish supplies. Look for penicillin or amoxicillin.

We have one chicken(we don't know which one) who randomly and notoriously lays quail sized eggs.

we let the chickens out and one of my cinnies was acting odd, not eating or drinking, heavy breathing(occasionally) not running around with the others, heart rate was pretty fast. Her crop is empty, her vent seems okay

Her comb is a bit pale, she laid down briefly and kinda rocked back and forth, breathing hard. We let her out for a couple minutes, and she just stood in the same place. I mixed some food with water, and she ate a little bit of that. She seems to have her feathers puffed out some, but not because of heat, its 66F here this morning. She also was trying to fall asleep while standing, for awhile.

I don't see any harm in deworming her(even deworming the others wouldn't hurt my feelings) butI have no clue which one to get from tractor supply. Which one should I get and how should I dose it?

EDIT: turns out she has bumblefoot on both feet, was able to fix one foot, will fix the other tomorrow. Treating it as well as deworming all my birds.
Can you give us a link to your video?
Photos of the feet?

While the cause of her not wanting to move much could be the Bumblefoot, the lethargy, puffed out feathers and labored breathing is concerning.
Can you feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid too?

Worms could be the issue, but it's more likely the thing making your hen sick is a bacterial infection. That's really not saying much to help you since infections can start from many different things.

It's possible the bumblefoot infection has gone systemic, spreading to the main part of the body, but that's an outside chance. It's possible your hen has coccidiosis and it's creating a bacterial infection in the intestines. It's possible an infection has occurred from the hen eating something she dug up in her run that has been harboring anaerobic bacteria such as botulism toxin.

The bottom line, when I find a chicken suddenly behaving with symptoms such as your hen has, I start an oral antibiotic immediately. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find some in a pet store selling pigeon or fish supplies. Look for penicillin or amoxicillin.

Can you give us a link to your video?
Photos of the feet?

While the cause of her not wanting to move much could be the Bumblefoot, the lethargy, puffed out feathers and labored breathing is concerning.
Can you feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid too?

Thank you guys so much for replying, we went and got all the supplies for bumblefoot and worms yesterday. De-wormed whole flock with Safeguard, will be doing that for 5 days. Soaped up her feet then soaked her in warm epsom salt and iodine water bath( she loved the bath!) Removed the scab on one foot and what I believe to be all of the infection on one foot as it was newer and smaller. Irrigated it with clean water with a bit of iodine. wrapped that foot with gauze and Vetericyn. The other foot we couldn't get the scab off yesterday so we wrapped it was gauze and Prid to help soften it up.

We put her back out and she did a 180. I think her feet were hurting her, thats why she wasn't walking around. She ate, drank, her comb returned to color and she was even out scratching! She has been doing great all day today as well. She is no longer breathing hard, and she doesn't have any swelling or bloat on her abdomen. She is acting totally normal again! She is resting a bit more, but shes not super tame, therefore all this is stressful for her.

We put her to bed, then this morning we took off the wraps, and were able to get the other scab off the worse foot. Now here is my question for you guys, i did not get a 'kernel' out. The scab was pretty thick, and nasty on one side, like a kernel may have been forming. I dug around and got some more stringy stuff out (not a whole bunch like ive seen some people get though.) How do I know if all of the infection is out, especially since its not a kernel??

she was getting a little frustrated so I decided to just irrigate it and wrap it. We packed both feet today with gauze and prid. Hopefully if theres anything left in the one foot it will come out, and on the worse foot, hopefully it can also help to suck out whatever I missed that i will get tomorrow.

She is in bed right now so ill get photos of the bumblefoot tomorrow when we change her wraps. Sorry, the video never loaded, but she isn't acting anything like she was in that video now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom