Chicken acting strange after laying soft shell egg

Hk1984

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
One of my chickens just laid a soft shell egg and is now acting strange. She hasn't moved and looks like she's trying to lay another egg. She also seems lethargic. She is 8 months and typically a good layer.
Any advice?

Was the soft shell intact or did it rupture inside the vent?

She may need to lay another egg. I would work on getting Calcium into her (1 Caltrate with D3) and see if she will drink some water.
Calcium is important to help with contractions.

I would NOT soak her if she's lethargic.

I have a legbar that does this... same age. When it happens, she drops 2 softshell eggs within hours of each other. She looks horribly uncomfortable when it happens. I haven't figured out what triggers it. All her needs are met... safe, excellent nutrition, calcium, clean water, minimal stress, clean environment.

I hope she feels better soon!

I have a legbar that does this... same age. When it happens, she drops 2 softshell eggs within hours of each other. She looks horribly uncomfortable when it happens. I haven't figured out what triggers it. All her needs are met... safe, excellent nutrition, calcium, clean water, minimal stress, clean environment.

I hope she feels better soon!
I’m having this happen now! I just noticed it today! I wasn’t giving her oyster shells so I am now. But I’m very concerned!!

I’m having this happen now! I just noticed it today! I wasn’t giving her oyster shells so I am now. But I’m very concerned!!
The oystershell will help her pass the eggs for sure! If its very hot where you are, this could be the reason! I think when this happened to mine, it was when the weather changed here in Atlanta. If its the same for you, offer cool water several times a day and maybe a fan in the coop at night. It was so scary when that happened for my girl 😭😭😭

The oystershell will help her pass the eggs for sure! If its very hot where you are, this could be the reason! I think when this happened to mine, it was when the weather changed here in Atlanta. If its the same for you, offer cool water several times a day and maybe a fan in the coop at night. It was so scary when that happened for my girl 😭😭😭
Yes! I just cuddled her all day long until literally she laid her second soft shell egg on me. She’s only been laying eggs for about a week now. She’s still new, so I’m hoping it’s just her body adjusting. I added oyster shells, just filled their water, and I got a small little tin tub to fill with water in case they may wanna take a dip in it.

Back
Top Bottom