Chicken acting strange even for being broody

Rockyrooster5

Chirping
Sep 20, 2017
I have a 3 yr old hen that is broody again. Last yr when she went broody we had to remove her daily to eat and drink or she would have killed herself. Because she wouldn't leave the nesting box at all!

Anyway, we bring her out for awhile daily thia time too. None of the other hens bother her. She will eat and drink, give herself a quick dust bath,then she will jump up on a log roost we have in the run. All this time her neck feathers are puffed out. But while she's on the roost....every once in awhile she wi literally scream!! And I mean scream!! It's so alarming it sounds like someone's being attacked out there!! I run out and there isn't a hen near her at all! It's a sound I've never heard from any of my chickens!! Why is she doing this?? Any ideas as to why she's doing this would be helpful! I don't know if it's something I should worry about or if it's something hens do while being broody. My other hens never acted that way and she didn't act that way last yr when she went broody! Please!! I need HELP to know if it's something to worry about or not??

It sounds like normal broody behavior to me. As long as she is eating, drinking, defecating I would not worry.

It sounds like normal broody behavior to me. As long as she is eating, drinking, defecating I would not worry.
Ok thank you! Yes I'm making sure she's eating and drinking. Like I said I bring her out everyday to stretch her legs and eat and drink. She's not happy when I do...but last yr she would have starved to death of we hadn't forced her to come out to eat. Our other hens don't act like she does at all when they are broody! She broods hard!😊lol

Like I said I bring her out everyday to stretch her legs and eat and drink. She's not happy when I do...but last yr she would have starved to death of we hadn't forced her to come out to eat.
Not likely. Sometimes they need a prompt after the first 3 days, but not every day.

Did she hatch chicks last time......and will she this time?

Back
Top Bottom