Chicken acting weird, Don't know what's wrong, please help

GarnerZoo

Chirping
May 22, 2015
We have this one chicken (all of them are barred rocks) and she's really sweet and gives hugs and such but today is acting very strange standing in one spot with her tail down not moving or talking at all. We had to bring her out of the coop today, I don't know what could be wrong, or if there's anything wrong at all. All of the other chickens have their crops not hard but not soft and her's is very squishy and soft. Is this normal, could she be hungry? have worms? some crop problem?

Last edited:
How old is the chicken? The crop can become slow moving during almost any illness, such as coccidiosis, but sour crop is also a possibility. Is she having diarrhea or loose stools? Lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched, not eating are other symptoms of coccidiosis. Treatment for that is to put amprollium or Corid (a medicine found in cattle medicine aisle in farm stores) in the water for 5-7 days. Here is some info about crop problems and cocci:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

It sounds like it could be sour crop. This is how mine acted. I had to vomit mine but I know people have mixed feelings on doing that. You could ever so slightly tip her forward and see if anything comes out. When they are filled to the brim they can't 'talk'. Do you hear gurgling in her crop? Does she have a funny smell to her?

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking it was sour crop but it could be the other thing. I haven't noticed any diarrhea poop, would putting the medicine for the cocci in the water Hurt her if it's sour crop or the other five chickens who are okay? Same goes for if it's sour crop would any of that hurt her if it isn't that, I don't want to throw her up because I've read some stories of some inhaling the vomit. Should I put her in her own thing like a dog kennel, also she is one year old

Was reading on sour crop and it talks about the crop being big, the crop of my chicken isn't big, can I rule out sour crop or could this still be what's wrong?

Help, she's worse today and I still don't know which it is?! I'm afraid she might die and i love her alot, we had to carry her our of the coop

I don't think it's sour crop because she still talks and doesn't seem to smell. She eats with the others, there doesn't seem to be loose stool or diarrhea or bloody poop either. She is very slow moving though, her tail is limp looking. And she's in the shade away from the others. Her face is pale as well..

Can you feel inside her vent an inch or so, in case she has an egg stuck? Has she been laying eggs? Have you wormed your flock recently? How does her crop feel--full, empty, soft or hard? I would worm her and the rest with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once, and repeat it in 10 days. If you can't find that, look for SafeGuard liquid goat wormer. Corid, the treatment for coccidiosis, is not harmful if the symptoms fit--it is a thiamine inhibitor for the coccidia organism, and if that could be what is wrong, it may save her life. If a vet is possible, you can get a stool sample checked for worms, cocci, and bacteria.

She's been laying, got six eggs (six chickens) last night and five the day before. We haven't wormed the flock yet this year..the feed store just closed I'll go in the morning and pick some up and worm them all. I've been reading on cocci and not getting some stomach lining mixed up with blood..the stuff I saw was more pink then red and there was hardly any of it.. I'll watch for any more red in the poop but for now I'll worm and hope that helps. Thanks for mentioning worming, I didn't even think of that.

Pink can also be blood in the stool. A picture can always help. It won't hurt to treat with Corid, if you think that cocci could be a possibility. They usually build up a tolerance to the strains of coccidia in their environment, but sometimes a chicken doesn' t have vef good immunity, or has been exposed to a new strain of cocci, and might need treatment. After you worm her, give her a bit of buttermilk and some egg to eat.

Back
Top Bottom