Chicken adopted me

but can chickens be alone? I keep hoping her sisters will show up and they can all be together again.
I had to jump in because this exact situation happened to me - except it was two roosters that showed up in my yard! One was very friendly and one was very wild, but eventually, the wild one became equally tame because it saw that the tame one had food and safety.

My guys slept in two separate dog crates until we got a coop built. I would lure them into the crates before dusk with pieces of hard-boiled egg (their favorite). I put a piece of wood through the slats for them to perch on, and a doggie pad underneath to be changed out daily. Also kept food and water in bowls for them in the crate.

Unfortunately, the wilder rooster took off one day before I could get him in the crate and he never showed up again the next day. :(

We got the coop/run built and my lone tame guy lived in there for two months. He started seeming droopy and I knew I wanted a hen, so I started looking on craigslist. Found a little bantam girl for $3. So now I have two chickens, one elaborate coop, and they are living the high life.

Although it has been a lot of work, I'm glad my little guy found me because he has been such a joy. My advice would be to invest most of your initial research into:
1. Making the coop safe for your girls and
2. What to feed them to keep them healthy.
Everything else is more or less tweaking that you'll learn along the way!

Hope this helps you!
This is my happy pair:
20201011_190701.jpg

I had to jump in because this exact situation happened to me - except it was two roosters that showed up in my yard! One was very friendly and one was very wild, but eventually, the wild one became equally tame because it saw that the tame one had food and safety.

My guys slept in two separate dog crates until we got a coop built. I would lure them into the crates before dusk with pieces of hard-boiled egg (their favorite). I put a piece of wood through the slats for them to perch on, and a doggie pad underneath to be changed out daily. Also kept food and water in bowls for them in the crate.

Unfortunately, the wilder rooster took off one day before I could get him in the crate and he never showed up again the next day. :(

We got the coop/run built and my lone tame guy lived in there for two months. He started seeming droopy and I knew I wanted a hen, so I started looking on craigslist. Found a little bantam girl for $3. So now I have two chickens, one elaborate coop, and they are living the high life.

Although it has been a lot of work, I'm glad my little guy found me because he has been such a joy. My advice would be to invest most of your initial research into:
1. Making the coop safe for your girls and
2. What to feed them to keep them healthy.
Everything else is more or less tweaking that you'll learn along the way!

Hope this helps you!
This is my happy pair:
View attachment 2675700
aww they are beautiful! and do look happy! :) it's good to hear she can be alone temporarily. we want to be able to introduce her to other chickens properly but just aren't set up to do it yet.

thanks for all your advice. We tried to convince her to go into the garage again, into the dog kennel we have set up, but she wasn't having it. I'm really hoping once we get the coop finished that she will move in. She seems to love being under the tarp.

Back
Top Bottom