Chicken alienation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly D, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Kelly D

Kelly D Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    Utah
    I have a flock of 4 hens, two just started laying. We also have 4 younger chicks and 3 ducks, I don't know if that matters. The older chickens have always gotten along. We've had them since they were 4-6 weeks. Just last week they've started alienating one of the chickens. She's always off by herself now and they won't let her eat with them. There's no pecking or attacking her which is good. Anyone have any idea why this happens or how to get her accepted back in the flock?

2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    It did happened on my first year of hen keeping, to my one barred rock, they all suddenly outcast and attacked her, that I had put pinless peepers on some of them for months until I know she is safe and been accepted back. According to some experts, sometime the flock will do this if something wrong/sick with the target chicken, this particular chicken was never sick in fact she is on her 3rd year and been ok and one of my cuddliest, wanted to be picked up when am in the run.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chicken interactions can be very subtle and it can be easy to miss why pecking orders change. A few possibilities for a hen isolating herself is she's the bottom hen and just wants to be left alone, some can be going broody which can cause them to separate themselves, as well if they aren't feeling well. You can't make them be a cohesive flock. I wouldn't worry too much unless she is being pecked bloody or she's acting sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by