Chicken all puffed up and chirping! Is this egg bound?

Erin125

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2022
Edit: her crop is squishy and so is the crop of my rooster, could this be sour crop?

Hey all! I have a 2 year old Wyandotte who tends to have some egg laying difficulties. She has never been egg bound but she does tend to have more trouble with a smooth laying than my other hens. For example, she gets the most stressed in the nesting boxes and sometimes fore goes it all together and walks around bent over until she lays an egg in a random spot. All of this to say, her new behavior was different and as a newbie (only had chickens for about 2.5 years now) it has concerned me. Basically when I went out to the nesting box, she was just sitting in it almost motionless. I checked under her body and there weren’t any eggs but she sort of puffed up and screamed at me. That was about 5 hours ago. Now I find her out with the rest of the group, but all puffed up and chirping incessantly. I brought her inside to feel her belly and it is soft and she seems ok. What’s this behavior and is it good or bad?? I also checked her vent and it’s clear and no signs of bugs or anything else.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom