1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Anatomy Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Goat Lover 3, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Goat Lover 3

Goat Lover 3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. I couldn't find a better forum on chickens to ask this question.
    I am 15 years old and I am doing a very detailed 4-H project on the process of how a chicken egg is formed and some other things. I am studying the chicken's anatomy and I'm wondering what is the caeca or cecum, and what does it do for the chicken? Thank you in advance! [​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Here is a pdf from www.uspoultry.org

https://www.uspoultry.org/education.../Lesson11/PoultryAnatomyandPhysiologyPres.pdf

I know the ceca is a part of the digestive tract that holds organisms that are very suited to aid in the digestion of Celulose and other materials that are difficult to digest. At least that is what I know of Horse digestion Horses have one so its called a Cecum... chickens have two so they are called Ceca

I hope this helps

Oh and an interesting note. Chickens dont have a bladder. So their urine is excreted as a white past that sits ontop of the poo.

And every few Poops there will be one that is called a Cecal poop. Cecal poops should be lose a bit watery and very stinky. Sometims you will see other chickens seek out that Cecal poop and eat a bit of it.... I know Ewww [​IMG]. But even with horses they do this periodically to reinoculate their own digestive process.

deb

3. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Thank you so much! So, just to make sure I understand this right, the Caeca pretty much help further digest or break down the feed that didn't get totally digested? Correct?? Thank you for the website too, this is all very interesting!

4. perchie.girl

Yep.... Lots of animals have vestigial Cecum. Wikipedia has some good resources too but Make sure you verify them. Because they are contributed by readers.... any one can add to wikipedia information.

deb

5. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Ok! Thank you so much!! I greatly appreciate all your help! [​IMG]

6. perchie.girl

I hope you write a great paper. I have a son thats in college and I really appreaciate young people who are
    "interested"... I don't care what field because if you are interested in what you do you will always be successfull.

deb

7. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Thanks for your support! Yes, every time I get an animal I like to study as much as I can about them before I buy them. I've raised chickens for about a year now, and I am still learning about them! I am hoping to become a veterinarian when I graduate High school, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see! Thanks for your help again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by