Chicken and strangers

henney

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
Reno Nevada
Hi, I have two Americauna pullets and three RIR's. They are soooo much fun to watch and take care of. They are very tame, my one Americauna jumps in our laps to be petted and cuddled. Do they recognize strangers, they run from delivery men.

My chickens do. If a stranger goes in the back yard with my and trys to look at them in their pen they all run in their barn and hide until they think it is safe to come out.
Chris

well..i'm not sure but..i think they definatley know their family...i can see the differance in how my hens react to me..compared to how they react to others..but...i DO give them their treats...so..LOL..thats probably really why they act like they like me..
lol.png
....Wendy

If I bring someone back into the chicken yard that the chickens have never seen before, the girls become very loud- and make all sorts of weird noises.
(I told them it is not good PR, they will never convince someone that they are quiet nice birds if they keep that up.)

My chickens see me every day. They only see my fiance' a couple of times a week. Every time one of my roosters spy my fiance' they make their alarm sound. It's starting to give him a complex.
lol.png

Mine stampeed the gate when they see my car come in the driveway. They ignore any other vehicles.

Mine also know the difference between my dog and any other. They hide from all other dogs.

Quote:
Not that I'm saying my chickens are smart or anything, cuz they're not, but they do know the difference between Charlie dog and my SO's obnoxious border collie Jake. They know they can climb all over Charlie and she wouldn't care and they run from Jake.

I must be lucky since all 10 of mine are very curious and friendly to new people (they may have food!), noises (it may be food!) and activity (it may bring food!).

I sense a theme here....
lol.png

Funny thread. My chickens get quiet around "new" people but if they see ME they go nuts! All the whining and crying "come on lady, let us out in the BIG yard with all that green stuff!" and it goes on and on
smile.png

If I walk quietly into the back yard, the 3 ducks are always the first to see me and raise the alarm "she's here, she's here!". Of course, I then have to reach down and pluck some clover (that they can reach themselves through the fence BTW) and give it to them and they are happy.

Now if I go into the back yard through the bulk head basement door (loud and squeaky) they all start squawking. It's a cacophony but I love it
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom