Chicken as Emotional Support Animal?

EIEIO_farm

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
Has anyone ever registered their hen or rooster as an emotional support animal? I’m flying to Portland from LA in a week, and I want to bring one of my chickens to give to my mom. He’s the sweetest rooster, and my mom really bonded with him when she visited recently. Her husband (my step dad) of 13 years passed away last September so she has had a pretty hard time adjusting to the new normal. I feel like Honeybear (the roo) would be a great companion for her. Anyway, I called the airline and they said they will not allow a chicken to fly in the cabin or as checked baggage because they are not considered a household bird. So, what I am thinking is if I get my chicken registered as an emotional support animal, and even get a doctors note, the airline has to accommodate right? Has anyone ever done this, or do you know what rights people have when it comes to support animals?

Has anyone ever registered their hen or rooster as an emotional support animal? I’m flying to Portland from LA in a week, and I want to bring one of my chickens to give to my mom. He’s the sweetest rooster, and my mom really bonded with him when she visited recently. Her husband (my step dad) of 13 years passed away last September so she has had a pretty hard time adjusting to the new normal. I feel like Honeybear (the roo) would be a great companion for her. Anyway, I called the airline and they said they will not allow a chicken to fly in the cabin or as checked baggage because they are not considered a household bird. So, what I am thinking is if I get my chicken registered as an emotional support animal, and even get a doctors note, the airline has to accommodate right? Has anyone ever done this, or do you know what rights people have when it comes to support animals?
I love the idea, but I don’t know a thing about this. I’m replying because in curious. Sorry I’m no help.

It's changed because of too many people abusing the system. Airlines are becoming a lot more rigorous about what kind of animals are allowed on the plane. Emotional support animals were never covered, only service animals are protected under U.S. law.

In order for an animal to be considered a service animal, it has to be formally trained and usually has documentation. So no, most likely your roo won't be able to fly with you.

But isn’t it illegal for a company to ask why you need an emotional support animal? I have a doctor that will write me a note if need be. I just dont see why a chicken in a little carrier is any different than a little dog in a carrier. I do understand why the airlines are cracking down though.

In order for an animal to be considered a service animal, it has to be formally trained and usually has documentation. So no, most likely your roo won't be able to fly with you.
But isn’t service animal and emotional support animal a totally different thing? My son who is 6 has an emotional support dog because he has autism. The dog is very sweet and obedient but not formally trained. He’s 100lbs and we have taken him on an airplane before, as well as a hotel. It’s the “chicken” part that the airlines are against. They assume it’s a nasty, disease carrying bird ☹️

But isn’t it illegal for a company to ask why you need an emotional support animal? I have a doctor that will write me a note if need be. I just dont see why a chicken in a little carrier is any different than a little dog in a carrier. I do understand why the airlines are cracking down though.
They can ask you if it's a service animal and what tasks it's trained to do for you. Emotional support animals are not service animals and are NOT protected by law. Because of the nature of flying in such an inclosed space and inherent dangers both to the animals and people, they are trying to insure only service animals fly in the cabin. More than likely they will get the laws changed because of all the people with untrained animals bring passed off as support animals.
Personally I wouldn't be bothered but some people have allowed their pets to misbehave and even attack other people and animals, which ruins it for everyone.

Any business can ask you two questions; is this a service animal? What tasks does this animal perform? You need only report two tasks. There is NO official organization for registering ESAs that is legally recognized.

That is it. That is all any company is SUPPOSED to be able to ask you. No documentation, no anything. However, please for the love of all that is holy do not use ESA privilege to circumvent airline rules. You're only making it harder for people with actual disabilities to utilize services they NEED.

Back
Top Bottom