Chicken Assistance needed

I put Neosporin on a cats eye one time and it went blind. The vet sells antibiotic eye drops for $6 it works great.

I put Neosporin on a cats eye one time and it went blind. The vet sells antibiotic eye drops for $6 it works great.
It is commonly prescribed for humans and dogs. My dog has a cratched cornea, and has been getting it for several weeks. We always need to look up and make sure cats are able to use common medicines, since they are a bit different than other animals. I don’t know of any reason that it cannot be used in cats.

Terramycin eye ointment, available at most Tractor Supply stores.
Terramycin-800px.jpg

I believe the controversy in humans with Neosporin (Triple Antibiotic Ointment) is that some people can be sensitive or allergic to Neomycin, so those people are told to use either Polysporin or Bacitracin ointment instead. Neosporin contains neomycin, bacitracin, and polymixin-b.

In cats, some of the links I was reading today, say cats can be allergic to the polymixin-b in Neosporin.

Terramycin contains oxytetracycline, which is good for some bacteria, including mycoplasma or MG. There also is an ophthalmic version of Neosporin with a vet prescription, and another vet brand called vetropolycin ointment sold online.

Back
Top Bottom