Chicken ate a plastic zip tie

Rugersmom

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2019
Heard my chickens raising a commotion went outside to investigate and one was running around with a zip tie sticking out of her mouth. I tried to catch her but she swallowed it before I could get to her. I thought about trying to massage her crop but was afraid if it didn't come out straight she'd choke on it. Any chance she's going to survive this. Also I have two chickens that are identical and now I have no idea which of the two are the tie. We are renovating and had plumbers and AC guys out and I thought I had cleaned up the mess they left. Have checked the yard again.

I felt the crops of the two matching chickens and I can’t feel anything but the normal squishy crop feeling. One had a bit of a hard piece but it didn’t feel attached to anything. I guess all I can do is wait and see

They really can make us crazy. If you can't feel it for sure, then you'll just have to make sure they get some good grit and if it was mine, I'd probably add some very slippery oil, like maybe put some coconut oil on some warm soft scrambled eggs. It will stay melted in the crop due to the heat of their body. Not sure it will help keep that thing moving, but it sure can't hurt. She'll probably pass it (I hope!).We usually are flying by the seat of our pants with this stuff. I mean, you're not going to find "chicken ate a zip-tie, how to dislodge" in a book on chicken keeping, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom