chicken ate copperhead

carrborochicks

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
2
0
7
Hi, I am a new member but long time reader. One of my hens just ate a baby copperhead, is this potentially harmful to her? Thanks for any info.
 

flowerchild59

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
1,152
19
184
Southern IL
I have seen my flock of chickens and geese thru the years eat numerous vermin and snakes and they don't blink an eye when they gobble up the goodies.
 

carrborochicks

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
2
0
7
Thanks for the welcome and the feedback! Glad to know there is no danger to my hen. She did not seem to have any issue with consuming the snake, except for out running me and the other birds to get a chance to eat in peace. She is the largest Orpington we have. I was pretty amazed watching her!
 

Laigaie

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
136
3
89
Fayetteville, AR
Though there are many species of venomous snakes, there are no poisonous snakes. Venom is injected, while poison is ingested (eaten/drunk). Unless a snake manages to bite a bird before the snake is eaten, you're all good.
 

thesteven

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
82
0
97
Laigie, do you own snakes, lol i keep them and thats the first thing, i though of when i read, this but many people argue or dont care, no offense to the OP, alot of people were raised saying poisoness and will die saying it.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom