chicken ate pine shavings

City Chicken

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 25, 2012
i have three cornish X that i think have eaten the pine shavings.
they have poo with little substance and are vomiting. i am going to check in the morning and do olive oil treatments and massage. any other suggestions??

Make sure they have grit. That won't help in the crop but it will in the gizzard. I don't know if the crop or gizzard is the problem or if it is even due to them eating pine shavings to start with, but grit won't hurt them and might help.

It's really normal for chicks and chickens to eat bits of wood and such. It's usually not a problem but it can be.

How does the crop look? Is it swollen and stuffed? Does their breath smell sour? That can help tell you if you should be worried about their crop.

It's possible it is a disease and not the pine shavings. How are they acting? Are there other symptoms? With them vomitting it does not sound like Coccidiosis which is always my first worry.

Good luck! These things can be hard.

i checked this morning and their crops are normal and there was a LOAD of poo. so i'm thinking that they finally processed it through. i think that because they are cornish X they don't stop eating when they should and so they probably had a temporary clog- but a night without food and they are right as rain. i hope!

Make sure they have grit. That won't help in the crop but it will in the gizzard. I don't know if the crop or gizzard is the problem or if it is even due to them eating pine shavings to start with, but grit won't hurt them and might help.
It's really normal for chicks and chickens to eat bits of wood and such. It's usually not a problem but it can be.
How does the crop look? Is it swollen and stuffed? Does their breath smell sour? That can help tell you if you should be worried about their crop.
It's possible it is a disease and not the pine shavings. How are they acting? Are there other symptoms? With them vomitting it does not sound like Coccidiosis which is always my first worry.
Good luck! These things can be hard.
oh and when we processed our three chickens last week we noticed a good amount of shavings in one of the gizzards, like lots, but also a healthy amount of grit. that part was fascinating!

Back
Top Bottom