Chicken ate plastic gem

Crystal Chicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Whenever we open the backdoor Dottie waltzes right in in hopes to find some snacks. Shes the piggy of the bunch. She reminds me of a golden retriever who just consumes everything. She was pecking at a gem like the one pictured and I went to grab it from her and in golden retriever fashion gulped it down. I hoped that I miss saw and that it just got pecked and shot away but I can feel it in her crop 😒 it has a pointy side but is for the most part smooth. It's biggest part is slightly larger than a dime.
Should I be trying to get it out of her crop? Should I just let it be?
1000008490.jpg

Whenever we open the backdoor Dottie waltzes right in in hopes to find some snacks. Shes the piggy of the bunch. She reminds me of a golden retriever who just consumes everything. She was pecking at a gem like the one pictured and I went to grab it from her and in golden retriever fashion gulped it down. I hoped that I miss saw and that it just got pecked and shot away but I can feel it in her crop 😒 it has a pointy side but is for the most part smooth. It's biggest part is slightly larger than a dime.
Should I be trying to get it out of her crop? Should I just let it be?
View attachment 3651971
I would leave it go. She's free-range? I ask so that she's got grit. I've heard of chickens eating way worse and they pass it. It's never a good idea to try make a chicken vomit as too many times they aspirate and it only takes a little bit to be fatal.

I hope you see a pretty poop from her in a few hours!

I would leave it go. She's free-range? I ask so that she's got grit. I've heard of chickens eating way worse and they pass it. It's never a good idea to try make a chicken vomit as too many times they aspirate and it only takes a little bit to be fatal.

I hope you see a pretty poop from her in a few hours!
Yes she free ranged, there is plenty of grit available.
I hope to see some pretty poop today 🤣

Back
Top Bottom