chicken ate snail bait . iron phosphate type . what can i do?

goskeet

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
hi,

my hen got out and went after the snail bait. it is the "animal safe kind" but i am sure it is too much for her (she hunted down a lot of granules before i got her back in).

what can i do? i have called manufacturer, and tried national animal poison control, and they were mostly worthless.

poison control did tell me that in cases like this they may do a "cropulage" or something like that - with a tube down throat i think, and then activated charcoal.

any home remedy ideas?

thanks
skeet

Add water, aggitate and watch for bubbles?
lau.gif

No, really. The Iron shavings actually kill the snail by micro abrasion and the phosphate...well who knows, but it is in regular lawn and garden fertilizer and clothes washing soaps. If it would make you feel better you could drench her with a vegetable oil or mineral oil...I''d prefer the organic route..to help purge this on through her system. It might also counteract the phosphates.
Watch for any blood in her stool and make sure she has plenty of water and feed as normal.
In my opinion.
big_smile.png

what is the organic route you are reccomneding? hold her and shake her??

thanks for your insight, i am starting to relax, but still concerned. seems so harsh.

i talked to couty vet, who said it will hopefully just pass through as long as it does not chelate, or get stuck in her digestion somewhere.

skeet

Your cooking food grade oils would be an ORGANIC flush... Unless she has a lot of vitamin C or some other STRONG acid in her she won't be absorbing too much iron. The important thing is to get it on out of her quickly to prevent any micro abrasions along mucousal tissue. Most of the intestines are so coated with mucous anyway, I think a good oiling would be the fastest method.
P.S. The agitating and bubbles thing was a joke...you know phosphates...laundry detergent....Sorry.

Last edited:
THANK YOU ALL for your contributions. she is ok, so far (24 hours). i will post again if she gets ill.

skeet

Back
Top Bottom