chicken ate snail bait . iron phosphate type . what can i do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goskeet, Oct 16, 2008.

1. goskeet

goskeet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    hi,

my hen got out and went after the snail bait. it is the "animal safe kind" but i am sure it is too much for her (she hunted down a lot of granules before i got her back in).

what can i do? i have called manufacturer, and tried national animal poison control, and they were mostly worthless.

poison control did tell me that in cases like this they may do a "cropulage" or something like that - with a tube down throat i think, and then activated charcoal.

any home remedy ideas?

thanks
    skeet

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Add water, aggitate and watch for bubbles? [​IMG]
    No, really. The Iron shavings actually kill the snail by micro abrasion and the phosphate...well who knows, but it is in regular lawn and garden fertilizer and clothes washing soaps. If it would make you feel better you could drench her with a vegetable oil or mineral oil...I''d prefer the organic route..to help purge this on through her system. It might also counteract the phosphates.
    Watch for any blood in her stool and make sure she has plenty of water and feed as normal.
    In my opinion. [​IMG]

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I don't know how much iron is in it, but you might think about an iron chelator.

4. goskeet

Aug 10, 2008
    what is the organic route you are reccomneding? hold her and shake her??

thanks for your insight, i am starting to relax, but still concerned. seems so harsh.

i talked to couty vet, who said it will hopefully just pass through as long as it does not chelate, or get stuck in her digestion somewhere.

skeet

5. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Your cooking food grade oils would be an ORGANIC flush... Unless she has a lot of vitamin C or some other STRONG acid in her she won't be absorbing too much iron. The important thing is to get it on out of her quickly to prevent any micro abrasions along mucousal tissue. Most of the intestines are so coated with mucous anyway, I think a good oiling would be the fastest method.
    P.S. The agitating and bubbles thing was a joke...you know phosphates...laundry detergent....Sorry.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I've noticed that the sparrows will eat it, too.

But, it is suppose to be safe.

Steve

7. goskeet

Aug 10, 2008
    THANK YOU ALL for your contributions. she is ok, so far (24 hours). i will post again if she gets ill.

skeet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by